Any suggestions for a Rebel DSLR housing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What kind of things are you looking for in the housing?

Jeff, your options are basically (all prices retail):
Ikelite - Clear acrylic, allows access to exposure preview, no ttl as of yet, no sync cords to Sea & Sea or Inon strobes (yet), 6" dome only, $1200

Aquatica - white painted aluminum, no exposure preview access, ttl available, user adjustable shutter release control, 8" dome available, $1569

Sea & Sea - pretty new, $1995

I think those are the major players, there's also a Jonah housing and maybe a couple others. www.digideep.com has them all listed

Chris

ChrisM:
Jeff, your options are basically (all prices retail):
Ikelite - Clear acrylic, allows access to exposure preview, no ttl as of yet, no sync cords to Sea & Sea or Inon strobes (yet), 6" dome only, $1200

Aquatica - white painted aluminum, no exposure preview access, ttl available, user adjustable shutter release control, 8" dome available, $1569

Sea & Sea - pretty new, $1995

I think those are the major players, there's also a Jonah housing and maybe a couple others. www.digideep.com has them all listed

Chris

Thanks for the lineup Chris, heading over to digideep now.

Jeff

huh, I wonder why there is no ttl available in the ike housing...? My IKE housing for my Canon Elan 7 has it... Ike...want to chime in???

iflyprops:
huh, I wonder why there is no ttl available in the ike housing...? My IKE housing for my Canon Elan 7 has it... Ike...want to chime in???

TTL on Drebel or any other DSLR is not the same as TTL on film SLR camera (except for the Fuji S2) so the usual TTL setup for film SLR will not work with most DSLR camera.
For digital camera, so far Aquatica has an ICU unit that will let TTL be used with Drebel, Ikelite is working on similar thing for Drebel but they have not announced when it is going to be available or if they are able to do it yet (they were able to do it for Oly C5050/5060).

I hate to rain on anyone's parade, but the supposed TTL for the Drebel as has been proposed by some manufacturers will not work consistently. Ikelite will have E-TTL for Canon digital cameras complete with exposure compensation. There is a whole lot of communicating between camera and strobe that must be addressed. We have kept a low profile making few claims until development is complete............

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom