Any “skinny” AL 100 manufacturers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DXHI

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Looking for manufacturers or suggestions for an aluminum 100cf tank with same diameter as an 80… just taller to get the extra volume if there is such a thing.

I’ve toyed with the idea of using steel 100’s but our dive masters we go with really push for aluminums and frown on steels for various reasons

I’m an air hog and my sac rate hasn’t changed over the past 100 dives .. I’m almost always good on my NDL .. but I usually surface with 700 (or less) and my gf and spear fishing buddies usually have 1500psi plus remaining and I’m tired of being the reason they have to cut dives short .

We do a lot of spearfishing on scuba. Started with steel 100 and now use steel 120. One of my buddies is using steel 150!
The 100’s have less buoyancy swing and you don’t have to carry as much lead. What’s a negative on why to not use a steel 100?

One of my buddies is using steel 150!
The beloved PST 149's ?? Dry weight without the valve is 48 lbs !!
It is strongly advised not to carry 2 at a time across the parking lot.

I'd like to hear them...
I’m sure there are a lot of arguments on either side of the fence … but the biggest one they push is that in a pure SHTF moment every bit of positive buoyancy helps at the surface

Proof the Consumption hasn’t changed much since the first few drops… even on nice leisurely dives vs quick bounces with wrestling fish
923D14E6-0D21-4DE4-8E37-9E567D1FF401.jpeg

I’m sure there are a lot of arguments on either side of the fence … but the biggest one they push is that in a pure SHTF moment every bit of positive buoyancy helps at the surface

:rofl3: That is simply hysterical.

Meanwhile, back to the SAC thing, how frequently do yo adjust your buoyancy? That is a sign of being over-weighted and that wastes gas. Do you have a tendency to use your arms much? That wastes gas. Breathing pattern (belly breathing)? Task loading? Simplify... Also, are you diving "in a hurry"? Slow down...

:rofl3: That is simply hysterical.

Meanwhile, back to the SAC thing, how frequently do yo adjust your buoyancy? That is a sign of being over-weighted and that wastes gas. Do you have a tendency to use your arms much? That wastes gas. Breathing pattern (belly breathing)? Task loading? Simplify... Also, are you diving "in a hurry"? Slow down...
Don’t adjust much . I know right now with an AL80 if I was to jump in with my 3mil, sharkskin and hooded vest I drop slow.. have to kick like hell to keep up with my dive buddies on the descent but it’s always a race to the bottom anyway.
I certainly can’t loose any lead with that combo even if I ditch the sharkskin I can’t afford to sacrifice any weight. .. ie me and my gf were diving and she dropped her weight pouch.. and being gentlemanly I thought I’d share 2 lbs… couldn’t even hardly get below surface

When we went to cayman and Belize and I was diving with only a rash guard kept my weight the same..

Definitely a belly breather … I’ve tried all sorts of techniques different folks have mentioned.. tried some breathing patterns when I used to run cross country .. still burn a tank..

Im usually in a hurry to get down but once at my target depth I tend to take things slow and try and enjoy everything

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom