Any reviews on the Deep Six wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jake

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm in the market for a new wetsuit. I've been pretty happy with my Bare but have been a big fan of Deep Six of late. I'm wondering if anyone owns or has used one of their wetsuits and can give a quick review.

I have several bare wetsuits, including their elastek series from 2014. I much prefer the Deep 6 wetsuit- I find the neoprene to be more comfortable and the added pockets / kevlar is a huge plus. I haven't been too deep in our suit- max depth I've used it to was 60 ft... (I prefer diving dry) That said, it kept me nice and toasty.

I'm trying to be as unbiased as possible, but keep in mind, I do work for Deep 6, so I completely understand if you take my comparison with a grain of salt. The neoprene is outstanding though...

Best,
Bill

Looks like great suit. Size selection is very limited. If you could bring the same suit in XLS and XXLS that would be great.

I bought the 3mm suit recently and have had a couple of dives with it. Being my first wetsuit I don't have much experience to go off of.

But it does keep me warm even in the low 70s (it kind of depends on the person.) The neoprene is very high quality. The seam connections are sealed so no water can pass through them.

I'm not sure if it has the best wrist and ankle seals on them. I know they use glideskin but I thought rolled glideskin seals better? Maybe not. Don't quote me.

The pockets are a big plus for me. They are certainly big enough to fit dsmb, spool, wet notes, etc. They are a little forward on you. This might be a plus or negative since I know agencies like GUE and just the DIR way recommends pockets directly on the sides so it eliminates drag. But I image it won't be a big deal. They also might interfere a bit with your long hose. But they are easier to get to than ones directly on the sides of your legs. We'll find out when I take fundies next summer.

Small things like the velcro at the bottom of the zipper so you can tidy up the easily accessible zipper pull. The really heavy duty pads they use on the shoulders and crotch. The reflective panels for night diving. All good things. If only they made a hood to go along.

I would definitely recommend this as your next wetsuit.

LS too, please!
or maybe even a MS.
Hey, you can get XXL in some things, but I've never seen a LSS. Just curious.

Hi all. Popping back in to see if anyone has any specific thoughts on the pocket placement. I had a conversation with someone about the wetsuit today as pertains to GUE standards, and while the forward positioning didn't violate any rules, he did wonder whether they would be easy to reach if you're carrying stage bottles.

Does anyone have enough experience with the suit to have an opinion about that?

@Jake

I dive the suit frequently in sidemount and backmount configurations. We put the pockets slightly forward to make them more accessible when in sidemount, but I find it easier to access my pockets in any configuration. As long as your stage bottles are in the proper configuration and in trim, it should create no problems for access.

Does anyone know what neoprene Deep 6 uses? Yamamoto?

I have one dive on mine, in warm Thai waters and it seemed great, but no real comparison basis yet. @RayfromTX has a couple more on his, maybe he can chime in...

Back
Top Bottom