Any reviews of resorts in Bayahibe DR recently? Pre/post Covid shutdown?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

swimbody

Caribbean Connoisseur
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Wife and I are on our way to DR for Christmas and have never been. Specifically heading to ScubaFun and Bayahibe for our own getaway and diving adventure to shake us up from the rut of our Coz/Grand Cayman/Curacao/Roatan/cenotes routine. It's nothing to be complaining about as we love those places we just want a little variety and are stoked after watching some incredible videos on YouTube per the diving. I particularly like the aspect that you can either stay in a posh AI with fat Americans or hoof it yourself at a condo we can rent. Just would like to know the pros and cons. I speak Spanish so if anyone has a two sided diver minded view of the ins and outs of Bayahibe and the surrounding town(s) I'd love to hear your story.

Thanks,

Swim

We have been to Bayahibe twice. Both times we have stayed at the Hilton La Romana when it was a Dreams. Hilton took it over in 2018 and renovated the whole resort and split into an adults only side and family side. We liked staying there because it is only about a 10 minute walk into the village of Bayahibe and they have the best shore snorkeling. Hilton La Romana, an All Inclusive Adults Only Resort Dreams has a new resort, the Dreams Dominicus La Romana is on the east side of Bayahibe and is about a 10 minute taxi ride from Bayahibe. We are going to this resort on our next trip. Dreams Dominicus La Romana Resort & Spa | All Inclusive Beach Resort
Both times I have dove with Scuba Fun. John and his crew do a fantastic job. Tell John that Steve from Canada says HI.

We were at Dreams Dominicus in Dec for two weeks diving with Go Dive Bayahibe. Pre Covid. :-( tho. We have been to Bayahibe in December several times and the weather has always been great. As in Roatan, it is very nice to be able to leave the resort and walk around the villages, Bayahibe and Dominicus. The diving is easy, like Roatan (been to the Bay Islands +/- 9 times), but not quite as pretty. There are walls, gardens and wrecks tho. It will cost more per dive than Roatan.
On our last visit there seemed to be more Brits than Americans. We were diving mostly with Europeans.

I stayed at the Iberostar hacienda dominicus last summer and would recommend it. Dressel divers is onsite but scubafun included a taxi ride to town in the price and most dives were just me and 1-2 other divers. Rooms were nice and clean, although not super new. Food was the best we’ve ever had at an all inclusive. Star level was not worth the extra cost. The only thing we didn’t like was not being able to drink the faucet water. We didn’t drink from the big liquor bottles in the room - not sure if anyone still remembers the "scare" from the DR.
The dives I experienced were fairly shallow and benign, but nice. The big wreck dive there was fun. It’s named after me.

Transfer from the airport was easier than expected. We had a private van for about $100 round trip.

Happy to answer any specific questions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom