Any Recommendations for Combo Underwater Photo and Video Camera?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tabbykatt3

Supporting Member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
It's time to replace my multi-generation back underwater camera (3.0mp with
1-1/2 inch monitor) and my ancient land video camera (Mini digital video tape with
0.5mp photos).

Am I dreaming or is it possible to get one camera rather than two which can do
both photos and videos for both underwater and on land.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Kurt
:confused:

There are two ways you could go. Many of the new point & shoots and DSLR's have HD video capability. (See thread on Panasonic DMC-Z3 below). You can also take still pics several megapixels in size with most of the modern HD video cameras. Probably the biggest factor in deciding which way to go would be:
1. Strobes, with a good focus light acting as a video light on a P&S or DSLR
2. No lights and manual white balance on either
3. Video lights and use manual white balance or a slave strobe on a video camera shooting stills.
If you're more into stills, you'll probably get more creative control with a still camera that does video, but if you're more into video and just want snapshots for stills, the video would probably be better....Then, there's the cost factor.

Larry - Thank you for the fast reply.

Larry is right on the nose. A couple of cameras I would consider for this are:

Canon 7d -DSLR shoots excellent HD Video

Canon HF S10/S11-Video camera with great stills

Sony XR 500/520-Video camera with good stills

Nikon D90-DSLR with very good HD Video

All of the above cameras are great and also have multiple housing options which is very important to look at as many cameras are not very well supported underwater.

Canon 5D mk2. Awesome quality video...

On a more 'frugal' note, I just got the Canon SD980 with the Ikelite housing. Haven't had it in the water yet, but the topside video (720p) looks pretty good. Under $550 for the whole set-up with two extra batteries. Not a DSLR, but not bad. A step up from my Nikon 7900.

Back
Top Bottom