Any recent Bonaire trips?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

During our week there we had no problems either. Left nothing in the trucks....left them unlocked. The only time the windows were up were on iffy days for rain.

I did put a chain and lock around my spare tire....but Herman didnt on his truck and neither had a problem.

Dont let exagerated stories stop you from going to a great dive place. I will be back as soon as I can save up for it.
rich

My regular dive buddy was in Bonaire on a dive trip last week. He returned from his trip Sunday night, two days ago.

When I spoke with him yesterday, he said that on his first day of diving, someone broke into his rental truck, went through his gear and stole money.

I wouldn't condemn all of Bonaire over this, but it is certainly a problem and an ongoing issue.

Michael

michaelp68:
My regular dive buddy was in Bonaire on a dive trip last week. He returned from his trip Sunday night, two days ago.

When I spoke with him yesterday, he said that on his first day of diving, someone broke into his rental truck, went through his gear and stole money.

I wouldn't condemn all of Bonaire over this, but it is certainly a problem and an ongoing issue.

Michael

It is an ONGOING problem there and NOTHING seems to be changing for the better. It has all the ear marks of involvment on a few levels, police included. As long as divers know the risks involved. As one poster pointed out in the linked thread above, while it CAN happen elsewhere, it does happen in Bonaire with more frequency. It does not seem to be getting worse.

We were there in Sept. for the third time and no incidents. A little common sense helps. Also, we were able to confirm that the Dutch authorities are aware of the problem and trying to adress it. The local police have a hard time arresting their nephews and brothers. The Chief of Police was fired in August and replaced for whatever reason, but the dive shops and Dive Masters all know that their livelihood is on the line. I wouldn't be surprised to see something drastic happen soon. Especially since Bonaire may well be "peaking out" as one of the most popular places. Curacao is trying to take business away and doing a great job.
Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom