any reason to use flash if you have a strobe?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scotttyd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was practicing the other day with my camera in the local pool, trying different settings etc. On the way home I got to think, if I have a strobe, is there anytime I would turn it off and just use the camera's internal flash? I cannot think of a time you would, but my curiousity is getting the best of me.:dork2: I would think if you have something to far away to use the strobe, the camera's flash would be equally worthless. The only time I could think to is if your strobe is just to powerfull, but then would you not simply turn down the exposure??

I can't think of any reason to use just the flash. Most of the time I keep mine covered, like you, I need it to drive my strobe but there are times I uncover it so that I get light from a couple of angles instead of one. For instance, I may move my main strobe over a subject to light it from the top and use my camera flash to light it from straight ahead. But to use just the internal flash....can't think of a good reason to.......Well, one thing did just come to mind, IF your main strobe can not be turned down, moved or the camera F-stopped enough to keep the shot from being overexposed AND your flash is controlable enough to do so, I guess that might be a time to use just the flash. My 5050's flash is very controlable but so is the Inon so I have never had a reason to do so.

Scotty at the local pool reef.

Attachments

• P1020621-web.jpg
    P1020621-web.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 37
My optical link fell off one night and only the onboard flash fired on an octopus. Made for a really cool effect.
Picture289.jpg

For artistic effect I may, otherwise I can't think of a reason. You can get a variable power strobe and add a difuser if you need some light but not alot...

Last edited:
Fish or Octopus in a hole, where you can't fit the strobe.

I can't think of any reason to use just the flash. Most of the time I keep mine covered, like you, I need it to drive my strobe but there are times I uncover it so that I get light from a couple of angles instead of one. For instance, I may move my main strobe over a subject to light it from the top and use my camera flash to light it from straight ahead. But to use just the internal flash....can't think of a good reason to.......Well, one thing did just come to mind, IF your main strobe can not be turned down, moved or the camera F-stopped enough to keep the shot from being overexposed AND your flash is controlable enough to do so, I guess that might be a time to use just the flash. My 5050's flash is very controlable but so is the Inon so I have never had a reason to do so.

Scotty at the local pool reef.
great pic!!

bye the way, ikelite emailed me and they are sending a fix for the halo problem, a black rubber band to fill in the gaps, hopefully it will work,

It may depend on the camera. Here is a link to a collection of strictly stock flash photo's with my Oly 5050. I doubt a strobe would have improved the majority of these shots.

halemano : photos : GreaterUluaFlash- powered by SmugMug

A strobe for this system is typically NOT ttl, while the auto/P stock setting does do ttl. These pics were mostly taken during scooter dives, which are problematic for strobe systems.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom