Any reason to keep a pair of Ikelite DS-51?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fishyhead

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I now have three sets of strobes:

Nikon Nikonos SB-104
Ikelite DS-51
Inon Z-240

The SB-104s are awesome power-wise but they are heavy and require a special charger and battery packs.
The Ikelites are great to travel with since they use regular AA batteries and are small but not exactly lightweight.
The Inons are new to me so I don't have much experience with them but they have all the travel conveniences of the DS-51 and angle and almost the power of the SB-104's.

Is there any reason to keep the DS-51's? I was thinking of using them as remote optical slaves for creative lighting.

See if they’ll work with the remote triggers. Triggerfish or anglerfish or whatever they’re called. Kirill Egorov makes great use of them in his cave photography. He’d be able to tell you more about using them.

Triggerfish Slave Unit Sensor

Unless you want to sell them. I would be interested in the pair if you want to get rid of them cheap. Really, you don't need them taking up that much space. And they're heavy. And you've got the Inon's and the -104's which is what you really want to use. You don't even WANT the Ikelite's anymore..... just sayin'.....

Thanks for the Triggerfish suggestion. Looks like I could use them with the 104s too :)

Yeah! They’re cool little units. You can do some pretty cool stuff with them. There’s a picture floating around of a pair in the headlights of a VW beetle that looks pretty sweet. And lots of cave divers use them to great effect in lighting up stuff.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom