Any reason not to get a tri ball clamp?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pyndle

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi guys,

As I've had yet another ball clamp failure, I will be buying new clamps very soon. This time I'm getting ultralights ones. I just realized that a normal ball clamp with 2 attachments is the same price (+/-3 usd) as a tri ball clamp, which I might need to use if I decide to buy new lights one day (on top of my strobes).

Is there any inconvenience in having a tri ball clamp with only 2 arms attached to it? i.e. is it as stable/tight as a normal clamp would be?

Thanks,
Pyndle

Won't work, you need all three holes filled so that it will clamp down properly

I also plan to acquire two triple clamps now - but as Aqua Andy says, in every hole must be a ball, they cannot be used same way as the regular clamps...

I intend to use them for fixing an additional single floatation arm above the housing, for additional buyoncy and to fix the diving computer on it...

Wolfgang

I don't understand why the triple clamp (I have several) can't be used in two ball mode. How does the third clamp know that there isn't a ball in place?
Bill

The two halves of the clamp are squeezed together by the center pin, so when there are only two balls in it, the third lobe has nothing to push the halves apart, and the whole thing goes a bit lopsided. That said, I've used my triple clamps with two balls when I couldn't find one of my double clamps and they held fine.

I use a ULCS triple clamp to hold my focus light. Works perfectly with only two balls to grip to.

Thanks for all the feedback. I will get just one triple clamp and 2 normal ones, see how it goes. If it holds well I'll get another triple clamp, I'll update you guys next week.

Back
Top Bottom