Any PADI OWSI here to help with info?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stephan

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hi there,

I will finish PADI OWSI course in May 2003. I am thus brandnew in this field and would need some info such as:

- What is the expected income for a PADI OSWI ?
- How long it advance should I contact diving centers to find a job (june-september 2003)
- How to distinguish the 'very good' centers from the 'less good' ones? - what IS ggod?
- Where can I find job opportunities?

SPECIFICALLY: From june to september 2003, I am looking for a combination between a diving center in association with an MPA (Marine Protected Area), as I plan to go into MPA management and marine conservation.
> Has anybody come across this combination somewhere or heard about a place, maybe in the Caribbean?

Thanks,
Stephan
Montreal, Canada

beckerstephan@hotmail.com

What is the expected income for a PADI OSWI ?
Food and water

- How long it advance should I contact diving centers to find a job
Don't bother just go there

- How to distinguish the 'very good' centers from the 'less good' ones? - what IS ggod?
Work there

At the entrance to a shop

usil once bubbled...
What is the expected income for a PADI OSWI ?
Food and water

- How long it advance should I contact diving centers to find a job
Don't bother just go there

Work there

At the entrance to a shop

Stephan once bubbled...
Hi there,

I will finish PADI OWSI course in May 2003. I am thus brandnew in this field and would need some info such as:

- What is the expected income for a PADI OSWI ?

Very little, maybe just enough to live on, if you dont drink.

- How long it advance should I contact diving centers to find a job (june-september 2003)
NOW

wherever you can get a job is good, talk to the manager, look at the hire gear and range of stock, it aint that hard to pick a BAD shop.

Emplyment board on the PADI Pros Website, you will gain access once you are an OWSI, hundreds of jobs worldwide.

SPECIFICALLY: From june to september 2003, I am looking for a combination between a diving center in association with an MPA (Marine Protected Area), as I plan to go into MPA management and marine conservation.
> Has anybody come across this combination somewhere or heard about a place, maybe in the Caribbean?

Nope

usil's just jealous he'll never make the cut.

There used to be a fair webiste called divejobs.com that had a whole list of places that were looking for instructors/DM/guides, etc. But now it's a pay site using Euros...huh? But if you log onto PADIs website, there is padi pros, and the last time I looked it was full of shops/boats that was looking for people. I'd start there.

As far as pay goes, you're going to see $1500 US /month, plus tips, to room and board and share your tips. Some will let you keep the instrcutor fee, some pay you a cut, it's really going to vary WIDELY, from what I gather.

Checking out shops can be done thru padi also. You can't just call and say gimme the good ones in Cozumel, but if you inquire about shop X in cozumel (be specific about which shop(s)) you can usually get some feedback on their status, how many people they have certified, have they been repremanded lately, basic info. THat won't ell you if the owner/manager is butthead tho.

Hope this helps

Thank you very much for this information, Sydney.

I also followed your advice and have contacted PADI today. Valerie from the Canada office office mailed me back instantly, inviting me for a discussion on toll free telephone line in regards of my specific request concerning MPA work.

I know that some people have a problem with PADI - so far all I know and see is their professionnalism. Anyone else with info?

Thanks again,
Stephan

Sydney_Diver once bubbled...

Very little, maybe just enough to live on, if you dont drink.

NOW

wherever you can get a job is good, talk to the manager, look at the hire gear and range of stock, it aint that hard to pick a BAD shop.

Emplyment board on the PADI Pros Website, you will gain access once you are an OWSI, hundreds of jobs worldwide.

Nope

I meant of course: Thank you, norcaldiver...:)

come on coach put me back in, I swear I won't let you down. give me another chance, I didn't know about the cut.
Boo Hoo Hoo;-0 :bonk:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom