Any Northern Canadian Divers out there?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was there in march and lets just say that its not the most pleasant place to do ice diving. Some of the ice is just way too thick to even get through.

Though the stuff you see there is definitely unique, I dont think I'll ever go back. But if you're looking for something to do, go for it. Talk to some locals before though. We had Army Arctic Rangers guide us.

BTW - I was in Yellowknife and did all diving in Iqueluqtik (i dont even know how to spell it. sounded like this tho: ik-luck-tuck)

No help here I know, but I too am very curious about diving in the north. I have heard some good things out of Alaska so we also must have something goin on.

Do they even have the Inernet that far north?

I'm hoping to see this thread pop up one day and find that we have our first member in this area!

I'd love to know what it's like to dive up there. I'll assume that you don't even think about a wetsuit. Definitely looks like drysuit territory to me! Do they call those who dive up there polar bear snacks! :11:

Just curious.

Christian

diverindeep:
Interested in Northern diving...check out the Saguenay River in Quebec (not very far north actually...certainly not Arctic diving but cold and icy) for Greenland sharks...man does this ever sound interesting...spooky but interesting. I've never been there but it sure sparked my interest.

http://www.canadiangeographic.ca/magazine/ma04/indepth/default.asp
"Interview with a Shark Diver" and "Swimming with Sharks" were great aticles. Makes me want to try it some day!

I'd never given much thought to Greenland sharks.

Thanks for sharing that!

Christian

The trips to Antartica are really doing well why don't you organize something similar? You never know. I have never been divving that far north

hey, I learned to dive in Yellowknife... and I know there are quite a few divers still up there in the area... as to how's the diving? I guess I can only say for what I know around Yellowknife -- cold and dark, but there are some neat rocks and such to look for, plus some of the river diving is fun... of course, its nothing like the Emerald Sea off Vancouver Island. As for Iqaluit, I've never dove in the Arctic Ocean, but I've seen some pretty amazing pictures.
And yeah, we use wetsuits! Crazy Northerners.

I just moved to Yellowknife this summer and cant wait to get wet in Great Slave Lake. I'm from northern Alberta so the diving shouldn't be that different. Definately drysuit territory if you want multiple dives.
Cold Lake was interesting, vis of about 6 to 7 feet , getting dusky at 70 ft and pitch black at 110ft in the middle of a clear blue sky day. The odd fish to look at and some calcified structures in the deeper stuff. Very good experience for cold , low vis diving, makes tropical diving a real joy.
Am still looking to hook up with anyone else in the area.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom