Any new info or exercise after diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi Doc,
The last thread I saw on this was 11/05.
Ongoing reseach was mentioned ect...
And I recall some papers on predive exercise actually decreasing buble formation...
Is there anything new?

Here is my practical question:
I dive as often as I can (At least 2X a week but sometimes 3X a week (usually with about 10min of deco on O2) for the past year. I dive at night usually get out of the water around 10-11PM.

I used to work out in the mornings 5:30AM, but I got out of the habit for many reasons.

Here is the important point,
I have sort of been using the diving as an excuse not to go running at 5:30 in the AM.:coffee:

So is there anything to this excuse?
Do you think there is any good reason to NOT go running approximately 6-8 hours after decompression diving?
Do you know of any cases of the DCS that were attributed to routine exercise in a relatively fit individual that occuured >6h after decompression diving?

Thanks a lot
-Mike Gersch

Hi Mike,

There is no compelling reason to anticipate increased DCI risk from running 4 hours before or 6 hours following decompression diving.

Stay well hydrated and monitor any exercise-related aches or pains so that they are not confused with DCI or vice-versa.

Regards,

DocVikingo

mgersch@cox.net:
thanks
now I guess its off to the gym
-mike

Alas. So the rule-of-thumb is 4 before and 6 after?

funny I can think of a whole lot of other reasons to not run at 5:30 in the morning, but not for worry of DCS

Hello Mike:

Exercise Before Diving and DCS :sprite10:

There is no question that decompression prior to decompression to altitude (as with a pilot or astronaut) increases DCS. This does not appear to be the case with divers, unless the exercise is very vigorous. Probably the nuclei created with mild exercise are crushed during the dive. In fact, it appears that exercise 24 hours before a dive can be beneficial.

Exercise Protection

There is developing a large data set indicating that exercise prior to a dive [not strenuous] may be beneficial [see REFERENCES below]. There is particular evidence that exercise one day prior to decompression is a mitigating factor for DCS. This is true for both diving and altitude depress.

This has been primarily confirmed through Doppler bubble detection. The problem here is that these vascular bubbles are not the ones that produce joint-pain DCS ("the bends"). I discussed this with Dr Alf Brubakk at a recent NASA workshop and, we are in firm agreement on this.

These effects are possibly mediated by biochemical factors that control bubble formation. Among these would be nitric oxide synthetase induction and elevations of heat shock (stress) proteins.

Dr Deco :doctor:

The next class in Decompression Physiology for 2006 is September 16 – 17. :1book: http://wrigley.usc.edu/hyperbaric/advdeco.htm

References :book3:

Dujic Z, Obad A, et al. Venous bubble count declines during strenuous exercise after an open sea dive to 30 m. Aviat Space Environ Med. 2006 Jun;77(6):592-6.

Dujic Z, Palada I, et al. Exercise during a 3-min decompression stop reduces postdive venous gas bubbles. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2005 Aug;37(8):1319-23.

Blatteau JE, Gempp E, et al. Aerobic exercise 2 hours before a dive to 30 msw decreases bubble formation after decompression. Aviat Space Environ Med. 2005 Jul;76(7):666-9.

Berge VJ, Jorgensen A, Loset A, Wisloff U, Brubakk AO. Exercise ending 30 min pre-dive has no effect on bubble formation in the rat. Aviat Space Environ Med. 2005 Apr;76(4):326-8.

Jankowski LW, Tikuisis P, Nishi RY. Exercise effects during diving and decompression on postdive venous gas emboli. Aviat Space Environ Med. 2004 Jun;75(6):489-95.

Dujic Z, Duplancic D, Marinovic-Terzic, et al. Aerobic exercise [24 hours] before diving reduces venous gas bubble formation in humans. J Physiol. 2004 Mar 16;555(Pt 3):637-42. Epub 2004 Jan 30.

Back
Top Bottom