Any maps of the Palawan and Avalon Wrecks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefvagabond

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Nor Cal diver here planning on heading down to LA to dive the wrecks of the Palawan and the Avalon. Does anyone know if there are any maps or drawing of the wrecks? I'd like to be able to see the depths and orientation of the structure, and potential places to penetrate, as well as other exit locations if they exist.

Lastly, any local knowledge of the wrecks would be very much appreciated.

I don't think that there's anything left standing of the Avalon for penetration.

The Palawan should be penetrable because it's an artificial reef, but I don't know anything about it. All my dives to Palawan were within NDL and outside. Maybe some local tech divers can help you out.

Palawan on Google Maps
http://goo.gl/maps/FZEPV

It can get very dark on the Palawan, but it is within recreational depths at 100-130 feet.
Palawan5.jpg

Ashley Hauck (asha on SB) has a great write up with ship layout and interior photos at Diving the Palawan Wreck

The Avalon has as much penetration as a Volkswagon Beetle in a junkyard.
Avalon1-1.jpg

AVALON9.jpg

AVALON8.jpg

Avalon13.jpg

PalosVerdes16_zps4c6fa5d1.jpg

PalosVerdes14_zps42d64381.jpg

Swimming from the stern to the bow of the Avalon

Last edited:
Hey Phil, thanks for the link and the kind words.

I don't have a map of the Palawan, but if I recall correctly (I've only dove it that once), the interior of the ship is pretty wide open. If you do other wreck penetrations, this one shouldn't pose any major challenges.

It's a pretty deep wreck, though (~120'), so you won't get much time on an NDL dive.

Like others said, the Avalon (~80') is mostly just wreckage with a couple of cubby holes. It's in two (?) sections, and the bow (above) is in significantly better shape. On a good visibility day, you can probably see one side from the other, but I wasn't so lucky, and got hopelessly lost. Did see a giant sea bass though.

Roger Carlson took a lot of wide angle shots after the large swells went through last month. It probably looks even worse after this weekend's storm.
2014-03-15 Avalon Wreck - rogercarlson

I also saw a GSB on my last dive there. :)
PalosVerdes8_zpsdffdf37c.jpg

PalosVerdes9_zpsc33cf79b.jpg

I really should dive the Avalon some day given its role in Catalina's history

Back
Top Bottom