Any kind of training?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

triptrop

Registered
Reaction score
Is there any kind of physical training that would be recommended for scuba diving? Maybe a lot of cardio and running?

Swimming. . . lots of swimming. Depending on where you'll be diving, being able to swim out of trouble will be your most useful skill. And, it's very good cardio, too.

Swimming, swimming and more swimming. Especially if you're thinking about "going Pro". Its a great cardio workout and melts off the lbs. On more than one occasion I've had to tow another diver in because they were out of shape, usually after they brag about working out on a regular basis.

Is there any kind of physical training that would be recommended for scuba diving? Maybe a lot of cardio and running?

If you don't have ready access to a pool on a year-round basis another option would be rowing on a rowing machine.

I row a 30 minute session every day. It works the arms, legs and back.

I usually row between 6800 and 6900 meters per 30 minute period.

That works out to about 4.2 miles.

It works for me because I do it right after betting out of bed in the morning before anything gets in the way that could become an excuse for not doing it. :)

As others have said, "swimming". But you might also try swimming with fins. Get a pair of those stubby workout fins. Unlike lap swimming scuba uses legs and fins, So get the legs in shape.

That said, SCUBA should not require much cardio ability the goal while under water is to move slow and use very little energy and not breathe much. For the most part you only need to be in shape if something goes wrong or to carry your gear back from the beach up to where the car is parked. Now, if you are in good shape you will not get winded with exercise which turns out to be a Good Thing when you are underwater with a finite air supply.

Swimming as other have said, but all other types of cardio. I am fairly sure that the more in shape you are, the less of an air hog you will be (once you calm down that is, and aren't a freaked out newbie) :wink:

Sure, make sure you're healthy, get in better shape is always a good idea scuba or not, and swimming is involved, but the very best thing you can do pre-training is snorkel. Wear your mask, snorkel and fins while doing this swimming as problems with wearing a mask and breathing thru the mouth are much, much more common than out of shape divers.

Swimming is the best...and I do a lot when it isn't so cold out that it becomes silly. When it gets to cold then I use the elipical trainer at the gym, while that isn't swimming, it's not too bad for cardio if you approach it the right way.

there have been some good points mentioned here mainly all focused on cardio by swimming. Wearing the equipment is always good.

General fitness should also include some strength training. The equipment can be heavy and awkward. Just a good general all round fitness program with varied activites will be suffice. In the water you want to be as LAZY as you can be only moving as required when required.

I have seen some classes that only require weight training with the TV remote and that you can take air in and release it while operating that remote from a recliner.

In general work on your overall physical conditioning. Don't smoke, drive past the fast food joints and try to have a healthy lifestyle. Hummmm, that sounds like everyday living. :wink:

Gary D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom