Question Any information on American cancelling Bonaire flight on June 22

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OH2OD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We have a trip to Bonaire in a few weeks, and a member of our group heard American cancelled the Wednesday flight out of Miami,June 22. Anyone have firsthand information on this?
Thanks,
RJ

Did you contact the airline? Do you mean they cancelled the out bound flight on Wednesday going forward?

We have a trip to Bonaire in a few weeks, and a member of our group heard American cancelled the Wednesday flight out of Miami,June 22. Anyone have firsthand information on this?
Thanks,
RJ
Hi, we are at MIA right now! Our 10:30 flight today to Bonaire was canceled (AT 8:45 THIS AM) but they say this one is due to weather in Bonaire. So far we are booked on a flight to Aruba at 1pm if it doesn't get canceled also.

Hi, we are at MIA right now! Our 10:30 flight today to Bonaire was canceled (AT 8:45 THIS AM) but they say this one is due to weather in Bonaire. So far we are booked on a flight to Aruba at 1pm if it doesn't get canceled also.
Good luck, the storm should pass quickly, seems to odd they are going to fly to a place further west when the storm is headed that way.

I have not contacted airlines. I’m leaving that to our group leader.
I know there are many cancellations recently.

Diverdavef, good luck with your travel today.

Good luck, the storm should pass quickly, seems to odd they are going to fly to a place further west when the storm is headed that way.
Doesn't seem odd at all. There is no place east of the storm to land, and the winds are not yet increased in Aruba.

Doesn't seem odd at all. There is no place east of the storm to land, and the winds are not yet increased in Aruba.
Right so why hold them up, send them to aruba to wait out the storm an additional couple of hours. When they could just hold them up in Miami

Right so why hold them up, send them to aruba to wait out the storm an additional couple of hours. When they could just hold them up in Miami
Different question. Only AA can answer.

To the OP's question, I heard from a couple and a friend traveling alone that they were notified that the flight had not taken off from MIA, in at least one case after they'd arrived at Flamingo. I don't think a clear reason was stated; first it was late then it was nonexistent. I know a few people who got out on Saturday but not many seats were available; I think a lot would have been delayed until today . . . but then the storm.

Just an update: When our flight was announced canceled (after we arrived at the airport and before we went through security), we called American and asked for options. The only option she could give was to stay in Miami until Monday, July 4th (this was Wenesday, June 28th). Since that did not seem a good option at all, we started to ask about getting to Curacao or Aruba. We tried to get on a Curacao flight, which logistically would have been the best destination, but one was in 30 minutes and the other was already full. The first one made it out to the runway but sat there for a couple of hours until they canceled the flight. The other one simply was canceled. Our next option was Aruba at 1:05pm. Why wouldn't this one get canceled also we all thought but it turned out to be waiting on the plane for an hour to get a substitute pilot (who was just called last minute and he was driving in and no idea why we needed a pilot sub when we were already on the plane) and another hours or so waiting to take off due to lightening in the Miami area and no ground crew were able to work) Finally, we did take off and had a smooth flight to Aruba where we landed to find the island closed down completely due to the storm. It was about 830pm and we were starving so after many inquiries, we found that the restaurant in the Renaissance Hotel was still open. Of course, they were full as they were the only game in town so we finally got to sit for dinner at 930pm. BUT, we were safe, in Aruba, and happy to have food. Tried to fly to Bonaire next day but all flights were sold out. Flying to Bonaire this morning at 11am on EZair.

Good news is that we will stay in Bonaire at least a month and our accommodation rental starts today, the 1st. We have all month to recover from this and get in some great diving and hopefully a little pickleball if I can find players.

Does anyone have experience requesting reimbursement for expenses due to canceled flight for weather? We heard that we can submit our expenses here in Aruba to American and we would be reimbursed after the fact.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom