Any good way to reduce noise??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AevnsGrandpa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I use Gilligan's Photoshop action for "unblueing" my underwater pics. It works great, but I was wondering what I could do, or if anyone has any thing they do for the extra noise that then is shown.

Please see the attachments.

thanks for any suggestions,

Jeff

If you are on a PC, you could try Neat Image. http://www.neatimage.com

There's a bit of a learning curve to using it but it works.

I've never uploaded a picture here, hope this works... but here's what I did in about 30 seconds with neat image to your shot.

All I did was sample the noise in the water and then turned off the "Y" channel in the noise settings. If you leave the "Y" channel checked, the image gets a plastic look after the filtering is done.

jeff

i will agree with hodgson on neat image as this piece of software is very good at getting rid of noise and grain of images, it has cleaned up some pretty bad photos of mine to make some very good prints. also the functionality of neat image to operate in photoshop makes editting very easy.

another software you might look at is noise ninja as its similar to NI but operates a little different but does the same thing. im still playing with it so i cant give a complete review.

tooth

I use Paint Shop Pro over Photoshop. It has a command called "Edge Preserving Smooth" that seems to do a pretty good job on grainy images.

I'm using the Helicon Noise FIlter same as Dee. It's freeware and sems to do a decent job.

I'm told Neat Image is one of the best as it has plugins for the specific brand and model cameras. It costs between $30.00 and 75.00 depending on the edition you buy. I have not used it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom