Any good dive or other rolling bags with plastic (non-metal) zipper and pulls?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverrex

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Does anyone know of any good heavy duty rolling bags, dive gear or otherwise, that use all plastic zippers including the pulls? I use a Stahlsac gear bag for local CA diving. I really like it and it has held up well over the years except the metal pulls corrode in the salt air and get harder to pull. The zipper teeth are fine because they are heavy plastic but the metal pulls corrodes. I rinse them after diving with fresh water and every few months spray the metal pulls with vinegar and that helps. Just seems like all plastic would work better. Or do plastic pulls break over time?

Have you looked at rolling Ice Hockey bags? I happen to have them from my kids, so the price was right.
As for metal zippers, I wonder if the wax that keeps dry suits working might help.

Check out XSScuba rolling mesh duffle. Think it may be what you are looking for. Akona makes large mesh duffle/ boat bag. I’m on my second one, beat up but still serviceable but no wheels.

I have 2 really nice roller bags by Cressi that I don't use anymore, they are yours if you'll cover shipping. Send me a pm if you're interested.

I've got a Scubapro mesh roller with plastic zipper that I've had about a year. I like it a lot. It was around $120, which isn't too bad for Scubapro.

Rub the zipper with a bar of soap....:wink:

It isn't really the zipper that is a problem, the teeth are plastic and they are fine. It's the pulls that are made of metal that corrode. I did a two day trip this past weekend so the bag sits over the ocean air for 48 hours and it is dripped on by splashing waves and divers. The pulls take a beating over time doing that. I use vinegar on them regularly after trips and that helps a lot. It just seems like a bag with both plastic zipper and plastic pulls would work better.

Take them off and replace them with plastic safety ties? Simple solution.

Take them off and replace them with plastic safety ties? Simple solution.

I used the word pulls in my prior posts but what I really meant was slider body. That's the part that zips the two sides together. It is metal and corrodes with salt water contact and in the salt air to the point that it is harder and harder to move, including not moving at all until vinegar is sprayed on it.

Just seems like a bag with both heavy duty plastic teeth and a plastic slider body would hold up better. That's what I'm looking for.

The actual metal pulls corroded and fell off long ago and have since been replaced with stainless steel split rings.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom