Any gardeners here?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DavidPT40

Contributor
Reaction score
We've been planting the garden in the same place for about 15 years. Its not very big, probably just 1000 square feet. It grew pretty good this year, but I'd like to fertilize it this fall. I have three choices.

My first choice is 10-10-10 fertilizer.

My second choice is planting some kind of legume to improve nitrogen in the soil (anyone have any recommendations for one?).

The third choice is using cattails from my pond. The pond went totally dry but there are hundreds (probably thousands) of cattails in it. I could plow these into the garden. On a side note, you wouldn't believe the kind of plants that sprout at the bottom of a dry pond.

Which would make my garden the most fertile?

Start a composte pile. Its natural, great for the soil, and recycles most household wastes. Mix layers of dry and wet. Turn over once a week. Things you can't put in include animal waste, grease, fats, meat, cheese, milk (anything animal except hair). Anything else goes...from coffee grounds and filters (yes they do break down) to leftover pasta, spoiled veggies, fruits, eggshells, bread, weeds, dry grass. Just remember to turn it over once in awhile and layer like a lassagna...wet then dry, wet then dry. Try to keep a dry layer on top, decreases any smell.

Also, any fresh water seaweed from your pond would help. For the fall, try planting clover and plow it under in the spring.

Two words - chicken poop. Does wonder for the soil.

From raised on a farm,
Dave (aka "Squirt")

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom