Any Full Face Mask Distinctive Specialty Courses in NY/NJ/PA?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tplyons

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,

I'm looking into getting my FFM C-Card (always wanted to try one out, and if I can couple that with more training, I'd be elated)

Does anyone in New Jersey offer the distinctive specialty for Full Face Mask?

I've found one up in Rochester, NY, but haven't found anything closer so far.

Thanks,
Tim

You could find this out a few different ways that you may not yet have tried.

1. Call up your local public safety police department dive team.
2. Call up the PADI certifications department.
3. www.psdiver.com

Thanks, I haven't thought to call the local PSD team, but I did shoot PADI certifications an email.

Thanks for the heads up! And if anyone knows an instructor in the area that offers, please let me know!

Why would you need a c-card for something like this? Sounds like an underwater basket weaving certification to me. What is it that you want to know?

Why would you need a c-card for something like this? Sounds like an underwater basket weaving certification to me. What is it that you want to know?

I agree, I never took a course. I bought an AGA FFM, one of the old natural rubber ones years ago and figure it out pretty quick. I use to teach UW photography with them, so my students could hear me discuss the use of the camera.

The only thing that you might wanna learn about is bailing out. But you can do that in a pool on your own time, don't need an instructor to help you.

I highly suggest the AGA FFM's which you can get used on ebay. The cheaper new alternative is the new "guardian" from OTS: Shop | Ocean Technology Systems

I liked the concept of the FFM coming off the left side, so your standard 2nd stage would be coming off your right side. :shrug: Thats all personal preference.

Last edited:
I would like to get experience before purchasing. If I can achieve it with a C-card, that's great, if not, a pool and a rental will do. But around here, pool time for me to figure it out on my own is likely more expensive.

FFM's can be quite varied. Some better for commercial purposes, and some for recreation. What is it that you're looking for because these things can be quite expensive? In my experience these things often get relegated to the closet (or other) if they are not being used for some commercial purpose. In my experience I also like the AGA because it's lightweight. I also like the EXO - but it is one type of gas hog. COMMS are nice, but for diver-to-diver overrated unless you're doing commercial stuff (compliance) / or TV work.

X

Last edited:
SDI has a FFM course: Full Face Mask Diver Specialty | SDI | TDI | ERDI
I took it after I bought an OTS Guardian - didn't care about the c card, but did want the training as a precursor to the solo diving cert. My instructor then customized the solo class to include some work and custom mods with the Guardian. The SDI page has a link to look for instructors.

I like the guardian much better than the AGA. Hose routing is better, seal is better.

I spent a long time looking at them before making my purchase.

There is an instructor in Allentown that does the FFM cert - I have a friend that got his for the Fire Department Dive team. I could track him down if you want.

I did 5 pool sessions practicing removal and bail out - then replacement. Then I went to the platforms at Dutch Springs to practice.

Once you are comfortable - you can remove and replace with second stage and backup mask in about 5 seconds. Its all about being comfortable.

Back
Top Bottom