any experts out there on D-2000 strobe?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverrick

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I finally got my new camera and strobe, and started to read all about it. When I got to the strobe instructions, I just got more confused, the more I read. Currently I plan on simply using the "A" apature adjust mode, and let the camera set the shutter speed. I know the F810 camarea is not a pre flash type. What I don't know is what do I seet it for in real life, after i set the apeture on the camera. It seems that I should set the stobe to the same f number, but like I said, I am more confused than ever. Can someone put this into simple speak for me? Funny, I can rebuilt a jet, but cannot figure out a strobe lights operation.

Being aSunday they are closed, but
I intend to contact then on Monday if I have the time

From what I can understand you can't use the D-2000's S-TTL mode with the F810, only External Auto and Manual.

Setup: Since the F810 doesn't fire a pre-flash set the D-2000's Advanced Cancel Circuit OFF by installing the magnet. This means the D-2000 won't expect 2 flashes from your camera's built-in flash. Also make sure your camera isn't in 'Auto' ISO mode e.g. set the ISO to 80. Install the 'Clear Photo Film'.

External Auto strobe operation: In this mode the D-2000 will automatically control the strobe exposure by quenching when it thinks the correct exposure has been achieved. It does this by the feedback it gets from light sensor on the front of the strobe AND the aperture value you dial on the EV controller on the back of the strobe. Start by setting the Mode dial of the D-2000 to 'Auto' and selecting an aperture value on your camera e.g. F/5.6. Dial in the same value on the strobe. Aim the strobe and take the photo. Backscatter permitting, best results are achieved if the sensor of the strobe is facing the subject so it can pick up the light reflected back from the scene accurately. If the strobe is too bright (overexposure) then dial the STROBE's EV controller anti-clockwise: you are 'forcing' the strobe to quench earlier by dialing in a wider aperture value e.g. your camera's aperture is F/5.6 but you dial in F/4 on the strobe. In doing so you are 'fooling' the strobe into thinking that you are using a wider aperture and hence need less light. If it isn't bright enough (underexposure) then dial the EV controller clockwise.

Manual strobe operation: In this mode you control how much light is given out by the strobe by dialing a value on the EV controller. Set the strobe's Mode dial to 'M (-0.5 > -6)'. Make a 'guestimate' according to the Aperture you set on the camera and the strobe-to-subject distance and dial in a value on the strobe's EV controller. Too bright? Dial the controller anti-clockwise. Too dark? Then dial it clockwise. If you need a full dump then dial the Mode dial to 'FULL'.

HTH

OK thanks for the info.
I got something of the same thing from what I read. so from what I am asuming, the only difference between "auto" and "M" is that while in "Auto" mode the strobe attempts to adjust the flash based on what it senses after you told it what F-stop you set the camera to?, compared to "M" where it simply flashes at what ever you set it at? The compensation switch also confuses me. it appears that it adds 1.4 EV when you place the thing in front of the sensor. But can't you do that by turning the EV knob as well? seems redundant at best. Thanks for all your help in cleariing this up for me.

diverrick:
I got something of the same thing from what I read. so from what I am asuming, the only difference between "auto" and "M" is that while in "Auto" mode the strobe attempts to adjust the flash based on what it senses after you told it what F-stop you set the camera to?, compared to "M" where it simply flashes at what ever you set it at?
Correct. I can understand why it can be confusing to use as Inon has squeezed everything into one strobe. The most complicated is the EV dial as it is multi-functional (depending on what mode you select on the Mode dial). The numbers '2', '2.8', '4', etc. are meaningless for all modes except 'Auto' and I know that it confuses the hell out of a lot of people. From memory, in 'M' mode, the dot between the '8' and '11' is 1/2 strobe power and the one between '8' and '5.6' is 1/4 strobe power etc.

diverrick:
The compensation switch also confuses me. it appears that it adds 1.4 EV when you place the thing in front of the sensor. But can't you do that by turning the EV knob as well? seems redundant at best. Thanks for all your help in cleariing this up for me.
I think the +1/4 EV compensation switch on the front was included to give you finer control over the 1/2 EV increments of the EV dial in Auto mode. Probably best to leave it OFF.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom