Any experience with glue-on pockets for wetsuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Manta888

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I want to glue a pocket on to my wetsuit. I was wondering if any of you has ever tried to put a DUI Cordura Zipper Pocket on a wetsuit. Does that work?
Any other pockets recommended?
Is there any glue/cement you can remove later on?
THX

It is preferable to have pockets sewn onto wetsuits in my experience. Gluing results in an overly stiff area and cannot be relocated to another suit in the future. Halcyon and DSS makes very good pockets in addition to DUI...

Last edited:
I've glued pockets on wetsuits with Aquaseal but haven't had to remove any yet, although I believe it can be done. I only glue around the outside edge which will hopefully facilitate their removal when it's required as well as eliminating/minimising stiffness as mentioned above

Not sure what the construction of the DUI pocket is like, the cordura pockets I have used have a neoprene backing

Personally I like the Highlands pockets, they seem well made with good features at a reasonable price (USD33 with a small tube of Aquaseal included, from wreckdiversupply.com). The backing extends beyond the footprint of the pocket which I think helps with both sewing on and removing

I believe it's common to use a combination of glue and stitching; the DSS website specifically mentions this and that the pockets can be transferred afterwards

If you glue it all over, may be a different story

I used black neoprene cement to glue pockets onto my 3 mil wetsuit. Got the 1st gen XS Scuba pockets. if you pre-stretch the suit as described in other threads, the extra stiffness of the glued area shouldn't be a problem - well, I don't find it to be a problem :)

I glued the entire back-side of the pockets and figure, if I need to move them, it's probably because the suit is shot anyway, in which case I can just cut them off leaving a couple of inches of extra neoprene around the perimeter to make for a stronger mount on the next suit.

Henrik

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom