Any Diving in Utah?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

doghouse

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I know nothing about Utah, and may have to move to the Orem/Provo area.

I see that the great salt lake and Lake Utah are there. Is there any diving? Better yet any good dive shops?

http://www.utahdiving.com/ for a start.

In Utah, I've only dove (dived?) Homestead, so I can't really comment on sites or shops.

Wow, did not realize there was so many locations around there.

Mr. House,

I've lived (and dived) in Utah almost 30 years now and we do have a few sites as listed in the site above, but for me I've got to say that we have 2 sites and those would be Blue Lake (I think its actually in Nevada, right on the border) and Seabase. Both are warm water springs, making them divable summer or winter. The rest of what we have is cold and high. If you are into drysuit diving of small muddy alpine lakes, you are in luck, but for me I stick to one of these two, both are a must do if you live here, but neither one is something that you would exactly dive on a continuous basis. Blue Lake is fresh water, fairly deep (60') and a natural warm spring on the edge of the salt flats. It is a favorite with local dive shops to certify in. People always complain about the visibility, but I've had good luck, the trick is to NOT go there when there has been a class as the beginning divers stir this place up quickly and it stays murky for a while. Seabase is salt water, no fooling, and is also a hot spring near the Great Salt Lake. Seabase is associated with the Neptune Dive Shop in SLC, one of the two dive shops I recomend (the other being Dive Utah). They took a muddy salt water warm spring and dug it out, lined it to keep the vis usuable and then tossed in some ocean salt water fish. There are actually 6 foot nurse sharks, as well as Angel fish, Puffers and a fair amount of others which you can feed. The main area is only about 25 feet deep, but they have a seperate smaller area that they drilled down to 60 feet. Visibility is highly variable on both spots, beginneers and algae blooms are the factors, I've been in the 60 foot area when there was 25+foot vis, other times when it was 12 inches. Either one of these areas I use as a checkout dive just before a "real" dive trip to the Carribean or elsewhere. I'm not a cold water diver so everything else is out for me. There is another area, a hot spring (about 100 degrees) called the "Crater", this is 60 feet deep and larger than the Seabase deep area. It is in Heber/Midway and is run by the Homestead hot spring resort. 100 degrees sounds good, but this place is at altitude, combine heat and altitude and you have a recipe for the bends, in fact I know at least one person that has gotten the bends at the crater, but this is still also a favorite with certification classes, so buyer beware. The vis here is always excellent and if you stay cool on depth and time, plus calculate in altitude this is also a good checkout area for a "real" dive trip.

I ramble off at the mouth, but I hope that helps....welcome to the desert !

tuffshed:
I've lived (and dived) in Utah almost 30 years now and we do have a few sites as listed in the site above, but for me I've got to say that we have 2 sites and those would be Blue Lake (I think its actually in Nevada, right on the border) .......Seabase is associated with the Neptune Dive Shop in SLC, one of the two dive shops I recomend (the other being Dive Utah).

Minor correction. Tuffshed is mostly right. Blue Lake is accessed by driving to West Wendover, NV and then back south. At some point you turn east into the salt desert and eventually hit Blue Lake. At that point, you are back in Utah.

Both of the dive shops mentioned are in Salt Lake County. I think you indicated that you will be in the Provo area. There are shops down there but I have no first hand knowledge of them.

There is another warm water dive site. It is called Belmont Hot Springs at Plymouth, UT. (Plymouth may not show on your map. Look for Tremonten. Plymouth is just north). Poor viz but they are also volcanically heated water. Warm all year around. There are also camp sites (commercial) that you can stay at.

Diving in Utah isn't great but there is a diving community. They also organize a lot trips to warm water. And some to cold water (Catalina, Lake Taho, etc).

Welcome to Diving Hell. :D

Art

doghouse:
I know nothing about Utah, and may have to move to the Orem/Provo area.

I see that the great salt lake and Lake Utah are there. Is there any diving? Better yet any good dive shops?

Yep! That pretty much sums it up! Lake Powell would be fun to dive also. It is about a 4 1/2 to 5 hr. drive south on the Arizona border.

I am always looking for dive buddies if anyone is interested:D

I'm planning on going to the SLC area with my husband sometime during the last week in March (24th -31st) to visit friends and do some diving. We're definitely going to do Seabase ... worth it to do 2 days or just one?

We were also thinking about Homestead Crater - partially because it seems kind of cool - warm diving in a cavern - but it also seems awfully expensive - ~$60 for two people for ONE dive??? $22 per person entrance fee and $7.50 for tank. From the website, it says "dive up to 35 minutes to 55ft." Does anyone know if there is the option for multiple dives (without paying $22 for each time) or is it just that one shot? If we're going to drive out there, it would be nice to get underwater for more than just 35 minutes. Or maybe it's worth the price?

Any other ideas for last week in March in reasonable driving distance from SLC? (Blue Lake?) We are both equiped for cold water diving as well. Thanks!!!

Phoebastria,

The Crater is 65 feet deep. You are only supposed to go to 55 feet because they want to keep you off the bottom to prevent silting. Nobody is watching to see if you go to 55 or to 65 feet. Just be careful.

Its worth the money to dive it. Its a unique experience. Its incredibly relaxing. Its also the best on weekdays because there are tons of classes on weekends resulting in overpopulation and decreased viz.

Be aware of the altitude and adjust your dive accordingly.

It may be worth asking for an extended session and 2 tanks, but the only way that I really know of to do multi-dives at the Crater, is to be in a Con-Ed class. Maybe an Altitude class.
A dive shop conducting an AOW course may get 2 hours of time and a few specialty dives per day. I know that you get an Advanced card with SSI after 25 dives, but that wouldn't prevent you from doing a PADI AOW course, getting a PADI AOW card and applying those dives toward your SSI Advanced card, too.

Phoebastria:
I'm planning on going to the SLC area with my husband sometime during the last week in March (24th -31st) to visit friends and do some diving. We're definitely going to do Seabase ... worth it to do 2 days or just one?

Being from Montana, you may already be alert for this, but if you go back to SLC via Parly's Summit (I-80), there is a significant rise in altitude from Heber (location of the Crater and the Homestead). Be sure to do your altitude dive planning if you intend to go to max depth in the Crater. (Really not a lot to see. Was used as a trash midden by the early pioneers. Mostly planks supporting a load of silt.) If you do dive max depth for any significant length of time, consider returning to SLC via Provo/Orem. There is no altitude rise on that route. Downhill all the way. And maybe a little more scenic than I-80. You ride beside the Provo River and pass Bridal Veil Falls.

I would offer to dive with you but I will be in Bonaire at the time. (Not a chance I will pass that up. :D )

PM Shellim123 (she hangs around in the Port Royal forum although I think she posted in this thread also). She has recently dived the Tooele site. She will probably have the most up to date dive report for them.

Have fun. Dive safely.

Art

Thanks everyone. I don't know if I am going to take the move, but it is good to know that I will not have to give on diving.

Back
Top Bottom