Any dive sites in CT?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jrdivagrl

Reaction score
Are there any dive sites worth visiting in CT?

jrdivagrl:
Are there any dive sites worth visiting in CT?

I just got back from a place in Stonington, CT. It was alright... It was exit 91 off I-95. I think there's also a place off exit 75 in Waterford thats alright too. I'm searching... I know (just found out and got back from) Divers Cove in Essex goes out every Wednesday leaving the shop at about 5:30. Definately worth checking out...

MDColson

It's kinda funny, even though we're a little state, we probably have the largest amount of uninteresting salt water diving coastline (thanks, LIS!) I haven't dove everything CT has to offer, but in short, CT has decent lake diving; if you live in the eastern-ish half, you have access to RI and Mass.; western, probably hop over to NY/NJ; central, hope you like driving if you want to hit decent ocean diving. What area are you at?

Thanks guys. I live right near Todds Point Beach. like 5 mins away. what are some of the lakes i can dive and also is there a dive club that would be willing to have a 13 yr old join it?

So you're in Greenwich, or thereabouts? Not really familiar with what's in your area as far as lakes go, but here's the DEP website page that lists the lakes and ponds that the DEP maintain: http://www.dep.state.ct.us/cgnhs/lakes/lakepond.htm

As far as Fairfield county goes, they only list Squantz Pond, which I've never dove, but is supposed to be well known for artifact (as in Indians and settlers) diving. I've only dove in West Hill Pond, up in the Winsted area. Nice dive.

Here's another link for Candlewood Lake (Danbury): http://www.beneaththesea.org/TSSC/diveInfo/Candle.html It also has some info on Squantz Pond. I've heard Candlewood can be pretty bad as far as algae blooms, however. Hope this helps!

gfisher4792:
It's kinda funny, even though we're a little state, we probably have the largest amount of uninteresting salt water diving coastline (thanks, LIS!) I haven't dove everything CT has to offer, but in short, CT has decent lake diving; if you live in the eastern-ish half, you have access to RI and Mass.; western, probably hop over to NY/NJ; central, hope you like driving if you want to hit decent ocean diving. What area are you at?

I would like to do some lake diving in CT or MA,
I've heard that West Hill Pond is good and Crystal Lake too, does anyone know if access is easy (non-restricted) at these places? Is summer a good time to go or is the visibility real bad? Am I asking too many questions?

eddieeffg:
I would like to do some lake diving in CT or MA,
I've heard that West Hill Pond is good and Crystal Lake too, does anyone know if access is easy (non-restricted) at these places? Is summer a good time to go or is the visibility real bad? Am I asking too many questions?

Dove West Hill last weekend. Down to 20-25 feet, vis was about 10-20 feet, give or take, maybe up to 30 at 12 feet down. Deeper than 25 feet, we hit the thermocline (temp dropped from 72 to 49) and vis dropped to only a foot or so. I heard that algae isn't too much of a problem at West Hill, generally. Access is easy; there's a little boat dock a bit off the beach parking lot (or, you can go off the rental boat dock on the other side of the lake).

I'm going diving in Stonington tomorrow with a guy I met during one of those 'wednesday night dives' from Divers Cove in Essex. I think we're meeting at 5. If anyone is interested, let me know and I can do my best for directions. Vis was alright the other day 10-12ft. It's shallow (you'd need a shovel to get deeper than 20) and the access is a walkin from the beach.

Mark

pm sent

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom