Any comments on Nimar equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bdavey

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have a Fuji S5 Pro (basically a Nikon D200 body with a Fuji CCD) for which I need an underwater case & strobe. I was looking at Ikelite but to be honest I cant afford it.

Then I came across Nimar (sorry cant post the link but google Nimar & it should take you to the Italian site) & they can supply me with a case, 18-55 zoom lens port, viewfinder & strobe for about €1400 delivered, but I'm finding it a little difficult to find anyone that has actually used one or evan had their hands on one.

I understand that it's probably not going to be as good as the Ikelite & a little more fiddly to mount the camera but as I'm fairly new to underwater photography & have only used a point & shoot for snorkelling & free diving before I cant help feeling that this is more than suitable for me. I do intend to learn to dive on my trip to the Red Sea & is the reason I want to take the DSLR with me.

Grateful for any help you can give me.

Hi,I HAD a Nimar housing and it leaked worse than a cane basket.It leaked even after it was sent back to the producer (twice).
I live in Italy where Nimar housings are produced and they DO NOT have a good rep.There's no comparison with Ikelite at all.Strangly enough fitting the camera in (Nikon D60 which I nearly lost due to the LEAKS) was actually easy:D.
The primo ttl flash works well.
If you have not bought it yet i recomend you dump the thought.
I now use sea&sea and am happy.:D
Ciao..

Thanks for your reply. I found another forum where someone had used a Nimar housing & unfortunately they had had major problems with it as well & because of that I am just about to place an order for Ikelite kit even though I still can't afford it, but neither can I afford a new camera.

Hey,

I bought a Nimar and suffered a number of dives with instant leaks...Destroyed a Nikon 18-200mm lense. The camera, a Nikon a D300, survived, thankfully.
But with a sizable amount of determination I found a simple but ingenious method to thighten the clips and now it's as dry as a bone.

Anyone Interested can check out my album on Facebook for a better description.

Seems I can't post the URL for the time being as I'm a newbie here

Good luck

Steve

With all my respect for Nimars engeneering,
i never would buy one as i know personally only people who
had leaks, sticky buttons and various other issues and had it
several times at Nimar to repair it.
I don't think that the price difference is so much to justify a cheap housing
risking a expensive camera setup.

Chris

Hi Chris,
With hindsight you are probably right....but it didn't seem very "cheap" in price tome at the time I bought it...and since it started with the letters NI i.e NIMAR I was undcer the impression it was a division on Nikon.
Still we are all wiser after :)

scachia,
yes, the NI.Mar name suggest that they have some connection with NITAL (Nikon Italy).
Nimar was established in the early '80s through the commitment of the proprietor of Plastmeccanica, Mr Rossano Lugli, who combined his love of photography, video-filming and the sea with the experience acquired in the plastics sector to create a division within his company for the construction of underwater cases for TV and other cameras.

It may be that they are made better now, but 5 years ago their housings where not of good quality and ways too expensive confronting them with Ikelite products.

Chris

Hi Chris,
With hindsight you are probably right....but it didn't seem very "cheap" in price tome at the time I bought it...and since it started with the letters NI i.e NIMAR I was undcer the impression it was a division on Nikon.
Still we are all wiser after :)

Do a search. They have a history here of leaking. They are no bargain.

And there is no TTL converter in the housing, so you have very limited strobe options.

Nimar equippment has just recently received a makeover and the quality apparently has improved slightly.I dumped :dork2: mine and moved over to Sea&Sea:cool2:.There is a ttl converter that only works with the nimar primo flash.
They struck an agreement with Nital (nikon italia) some time last year.
They are all products that I feel are substandard.
Keep well clear :wink:.
Ciao from Italy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom