Any BP/W Divers in the Milwaukee Area?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gergify

Registered
Reaction score
So I'm a new driver, fresh out of OW with 2 fresh water dives under my belt, with a couple more planned soon. Suffice to say I'm pretty hooked. I've been pouring over the web and my LDS looking for gear suggestions. Up till recently, I never knew the BP/W setup existed. Certainly didn't see/hear it mentioned in my classes.

I've always been intrigued by minimalist diving. I've taken free diving courses in the past, so the Idea of a no frills streamlined setup really appeals to me. However none of the divers I dive with use a BP/W, So I'm hesitant to jump into scuba with what many would consider 'niche' gear.

If anyone in the Chicago Milwaukee area has a BP/W setup they'd be willing to let try or at least show the basics of assembling and adjusting let me know! I'd love to talk someone and see the gear in person!

Last edited:
I think you mean BP/W for Backplate/Wing..
I most certainly did, thanks for the correction! All these acronyms, I'm still trying to get the hang of them all! Next time, I'll proof read better :wink:

Having help at some point with fine-tuning D-ring placement, etc, is nice, but it isn't rocket surgery. There are lots of resources out there these days, video and print, so if that's what you want to do, have at it! I did it on my own immediately after OW class and never had to make any big changes. (Probably the most common error is getting the shoulder straps too tight. The crotch strap is what will really lock things down.)

. . . So I'm hesitant to jump into scuba with what many would consider 'niche' gear. . . .

It gets less niche-y all the time. These days, you'll see plenty of BP/Ws in places as mundane as Cozumel, and probably places as exotic as Milwaukee.

You may be better off moving this to basic/beginner forum.

DRiS is not that far and there's at least @Marie13 not far from there. If instead of Chicago, you're in Madison sometime, send me a PM, I could show you mine. I'd guess your chances of taking one for a test drive are much better with DRiS. :wink:

You may be better off moving this to basic/beginner forum.

DRiS is not that far and there's at least @Marie13 not far from there. If instead of Chicago, you're in Madison sometime, send me a PM, I could show you mine. I'd guess your chances of taking one for a test drive are much better with DRiS. :wink:

Hah! The guys at DRIS (Chris the manager) helped me adjust my Halcyon rig after I won at the underwater punkin carving last fall. :D DRIS' basic BP/W package is a good value (that's the one in my avatar pic - I sold it after I won the Halcyon). I'd be more than happy to show you mine, but I've tweaked it to fit me. DRIS does then webbing, too, for the princely sum of $10-20. I consider that a bargain. I've had friends take advantage of that.

As for niche, I see a lot of divers at Haigh Quarry with them. Not many new divers with them, but then I always did march to my own drummer (I got a BP/W in the midst of my OW class).

Last edited:
I didn't even realize DRiS was that close! Thanks for pointing that out!

DRIS is in the SW Chicago burbs. Probably a bit over a 2 hour drive for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom