Any big advantage to valve brand consistency?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jimmer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
As of right now I have 11 tanks total, 3 sets of doubles and 5 single tanks. I have a Thermo manifold and 4 single valves that obviously use Thermo parts, a Dive Rite manifold that uses DR parts, and an OMS manifold and a Blue Steel single valve that use a third set of parts. Is there much advantage to converting all my systems to Thermo for example for ease of rebuild/repair, or is it such a rare occurance to have valve problems, that I might as well just leave them as is and just worry about ordering the right bits when I service them?

Any thought?
Jim

Jimmer,

I have all Thermo manifolds and valves, and the only advantage is convenience when ordering parts to rebuild the valves.

If you're partial-pressure blending, though, you'll be wanting to O2-clean your valves annually when you do the VIP to update your decal (unless you own your own fill station). So...its really a matter of how much of a PITA are you willing to deal with on an annual basis...

FWIW...

YMMV

Well that's just it, I've been Nitrox certified for 2 years now, all of it partial pressure blended. This summer I'll be doing Naui Tech 1, so I'll be adding Heliotrox/100% O2 to the equation, so I plan on keeping all my tanks cleaned for O2 service, which is what brought up this thought. I'll be cleaning/VIPing all my tanks over the next 3 months or so, so this is the ideal time to make changes.

Back
Top Bottom