Any AZ Divers been to the Big Island?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AZdiver1279

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Kona Diving

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have some questions for AZ divers that have dived the Big Island.

We (4 divers) will be in Kona this spring for 10 days and would like to get in about 15 or more dives including the Manta Night Dive.

I would like to hear some thoughts on local dive shops, good or bad. What has been your experience while on the Big Island? What dive shop did you go with, what did you like or not like about them?

Also, it seems most of the dive shops are in Kona and we are staying in Waikloa. How long is that drive, I've heard that it can be 40 minutes from Waikloa, is that so?

Finally, what is the difference between Waikloa and Kona diving?

One more thought, please feel free to comment on other activities on the Big Island you enjoyed, restaurants, golf, etc.

Thanks in advance for any response!

Yes!!! We (me and my wife) was there this past May and had a WONDERFUL time!

p.php

As far as dive boats go - we dove with Steve @ Wanna Dive Kona, scuba diving classes and boat diving tours in Hawaii - which as great. I would highly reccommend him and his divemasters! (its a 6-pack boat -so you'll have great personalized attention!!!) We went into a few of the other dive shops (gotta have the t-shirts) and found Big Island divers to be the friendliest of shops that we stopped in.

As far other things to do on the big island:

We did the Mauna Loa summit tour - but - we found it a bit overrated. If you like stargazing - then you would probably appreciate it more.

We spent a night in Volcano, where we went we did go see the lava flow into the ocean at night - completly awesome!

p.php

The last thing we did which was quite enjoyable was an ATV tour of the Waipo valley rim. Hawaii's Waipio Valley ATV Tours with RideTheRim - this was a TON of fun.

We actually stayed in a condo in Kona - which was great - we were able to walk to town to have breakfast, go to restaurants, etc.

One place we wanted to try is Jackie Rey's Ohana Grill - we had food from there on our Mauna Loa tour - and it was incredible.

Another great place to visit is south point - it is very serene and peaceful there. If you have a four wheel drive vehicle or feel like hiking - I would reccommend heading down to the green sand beach.

p.php

fkostyun -

Thanks for the information, links and the pics! Do you remember the name of the dive site your pic is from?

We'll be there in May as well so judging from you post we can expect good conditions.

The ATV tour sounds great, I saw somewhere that you could ride bikes from the top of the volcano as well...sounds like it could be great fun.

I'll check out the links now.

Thanks again!

Last edited:
I was there in 2003 not as a diver but a snorkeler and tourist. I will look for the info of where we went and post it. The lava flows were awesome to see we hiked it and flew over it. We went to all the amazing water falls and even did a horse back ride down to the beach. It is beautiful for sure. We stayed in the same area you are at and i would say it was about 30 minutes to Kona depending on traffic. Now that I am a diver I can't wait to go back some day to really see the ocean creatures.

The bike ride down the mountain is actually on Maui.

The photo of the moorish idol was taken at a site called High Rock, based on my log book and the photo's time stamp it was taken about 10:45 in the morning at a depth of 50 ft. One thing to note.

One thing we did try to do was to "get off the beaten path" a bit - and search for many places that were less touristy and more of locals.

One other place we did eat at that was WONDERFUL local food - was in Captain Cook - called the Captain Cook Grill.

Video I took of the Manta Ray Dive:
YouTube - Kona Manta Ray Dive

fkostyun-

Thanks!

How close to the lava were you when you took that picture?

Wow, great footage of the Manta night dive! Did you do this with Wanna Dive? What type of equipment were you using? It looks like the plankton was drawn to you and therefore the Mantas also.

Great stuff, thanks!

sea princess -

Did you hike Alaska Falls? I've heard that hike was quite spectacular.

Thanks!

AZdiver I am headed there in about 2 weeks and would be happy to give you an update after I return. I was there last March and stayed in Kona proper. This time we are staying in Waikloa(sp), not what I would prefer. Last March, Hwy 19 was under construction and it was a pain to get to and from Waikloa and Kona. Two points, 1st we found it better to take the county roads to the lava flow (easy walk to within 200 yds of the lava flow into the ocean, great view at night) instead of driving into the National Park. 2nd, drive down to "Bay of Refuge" and dive or snorkel the area known as "Two Steps". That was my first encounter with wild Dolphins and we ended up spending two days with them. I was able to get some excellent video and still shots while I was less then 10 yards from them. One of the best experiences of my life! I am really looking forward to going back (won't be using Jacks Diving Locker this time though) and like I said before I would be happy to give you an update when I return.

My wife, son and I were in Kona last year and we stayed in Waikloa @ the Hilton. I did the Manta dive with Neptune Charlie's Mark is a awesome Captain When we go this March I will do a couple of extra dive with him. All of the Manta Dive Boats leave from the Harbor next to the Airport it is about a 20-30 min drive from Waikola.Yes Kona is a 30-40 min drive depending where in Waikola you are staying. I also dove with Ocean Sports their boat are right in front of the Hilton Waikola. They did a great job accommodating what we wanted to see and do. What resort are you staying at?

Capt. Pete -

Thanks! I will put 'Two Steps' on my 'to do' list!

How come not Jacks? They advertise friendliness and were one of the handful we're considering.

Yes, please do give me an update.

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom