Any advice on....Vietnam/Cambodia/thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

riverserf

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi! I'm new to scubaboard...been trying to read up on things before posting...but I've got some questions for all you more experienced people.

I've decided to take a dive trip in either November or January to one of the following possible locations. Cambodia (Sihanoukville)...which would be close enough to also jump across the border into Vietnam and check out the diving at Phu Quoc.
I'd like to see the Water Festival in Cambodia in November that marks the annual reversing of the Mekong River....so that's another reason to head there...I just don't know if the diving will be as good...also, it's a pretty long ride out from Sihanoukville every day. (Two to three hours.)

But.....I've also been reading a lot of people on this site raving about the Similan Islands in Thailand and I've seen some things on http://asiadivesite.com/index.php about the diving around there and even across into Burma. I'm wondering if anyone has ever been to Ranong or Ban Hin Lat. I haven't been able to find out anything about Ban Hin Lat, the coastal town, to tell me if there are dive shops there or any details about them.

I guess I'd like to hear from anyone that's been to these places and what they can tell me about them. I have very little information about Phu Quoc especially. I've been to Sihanoukville once before but didn't dive while there.

depends how much time you have.
You've been to Cambodia so you know the deal there. The roads are like the surface of Mars. I think your Cambodia/Vietnam plan sounds awesome. If diving is not the main reason you are going to SEasia, then I would do that. Hit up a dive when you can. If it sucks , it sucks. You still get to zen out underwater even if it isn;t the "best". I've searched and found mixed reviews of Vietnam diving.
I booked a trip for only 2 weeks this winter. I opted for Andaman side of Thailand to relax , dive, drink beer and eat curry. The diving is well established, beautiful and the shops have been around for a long time. (pros in my opinion)Not sure if you will be finding that in Cambodia or Vietnam.
I really wanted to go to Vietnam but didn't want this trip to be an "adventure" , just a much needed vacation.
But... once I save up enough money and quit my job. Laos, Vietnam, and Indonesia, hear I come!

I've been to Burma (out of Ranong) on the Faah Yai. PM me for more info on that. You may want to search on "Mergui" for more information. In short, the diving was fantastic. I strongly recommend it. I think I posted previously raving about it - it may come up on a search.

Ranong itself is not worth visiting - just go there to get on a Burma boat if you decide to do Burma.
I'm tired today, sorry for the terse answer! ;-)
Taxgeek

Back
Top Bottom