Anthony Key's Buy One Get One Free 2019 Details - No Single Supplement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KathyV

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I received this flyer from the Anthony's Key Resort on Roatan spelling out the details of their "Buy One Get One Free" promotion for 2019, see below.

I'd always assumed that the BOGO special was the same as "no single supplement" for solo travelers - because how could they charge one person more than 2 people?! But I don't think that I have ever seen it specifically stated that way - or maybe I just missed it. But this flyer clearly says "No single supplement fee" so now it is certain.

The all-inclusive prices are listed below and they cover a lot, but keep in mind that there is a 19% tax added on to the package prices - but AKR has been around for a long time and it is still economical, and they don't raise the prices during the high season, either.

I have never stayed at AKR and I have read reviews that range from "fantastic" to "good" and "okay" to "terrible" - so I cannot offer an opinion. But they have been around for a long time, and for folks looking for an economical dive trip AKR might be an option to consider.

I do know that some of their cheapest rooms do not have air-conditioning and I would never stay any where in the Bay Islands without AC because the mosquitos can get really bad, so definitely consider a slightly more expensive room at AKR and get the AC!

I have also been getting announcements of special offers from Turquoise Bay Resort, so they may also be worth investigating. And of course there are other many other popular hotels, resorts, and dive ops on Roatan and in the Bay Islands.

It is my understanding that Honduran immigration requires visitors to have at least 6 months left on their passports (before the expiration date) to gain entry into the country.

AKR_BOGO_pg1.jpg

AKR_BOGO_pg2.jpg

It's a beautiful place and well worth what they're asking. We've had two ScubaBoard trips there and both were spectacular! I believe we had this deal and had them sweeten it up a bit for the whole crew.Here are some videos from our last Invasion there!

It's a beautiful place and well worth what they're asking. We've had two ScubaBoard trips there and both were spectacular! I believe we had this deal and had them sweeten it up a bit for the whole crew.Here are some videos from our last Invasion there!

That's great to know, thank you!

That's great to know, thank you!
As an aside, every place we've been to as an SB group has been ultra-vetted by @cardzard. If we've taken an Invasion or a Surge there, then you will probably have a great time there as well... except of course you won't be with all those awesome ScubaBoarders or get quite the same deal!!! :D There's no question: I would do Anthony's Key again... and again. The resort is so close to the reefs that we do our SI on the hard in the resort. No changing your tanks in a heaving sea, but in a calm lagoon on a docked boat. Grab a snack and a soda, relax and enjoy hearing what everyone else saw on their dives. Once back on the boat it's a five/eight minute skedaddle out to the next site. Lots of reliefs, plenty of fish and the guides go out of their way to keep it fun for you. It's in my top five resorts to dive with. They are great.

Here was the ScubaBoard Invasion deal on AK: ScubaBoard Invasion 2017 Roatan Package Deal

I'd always assumed that the BOGO special was the same as "no single supplement" for solo travelers - because how could they charge one person more than 2 people?! But I don't think that I have ever seen it specifically stated that way - or maybe I just missed it. But this flyer clearly says "No single supplement fee" so now it is certain.

Not following that.

If somebody pays $2500 for the Key Deluxe, you're already essentially paying the former price and the local comparable double occupancy rate. Of course there's no single supplement, it's already built into the pricing structure...you're paying double already.

You get the same description room at the other one-of the two real-deal comparable dive resorts, Coco View, for $1400 per person. So you could do the math and figure that for two people, you could do AKR for $150 each cheaper by using AKRs BOGO offer.

It's really not all that much of a 1/2 price as you might think, certainly not an escape from the single supplement in any way. If you go as a single, you are going to pay $1250 plus a "hidden" single supplement of $1250.

I myself have been diving a lot with AKR, I've seen all the rooms, eaten there a few times- it is an excellent product, it is a dive resort, no excuses.

You mention Turqouise Bay TBR, I've had similar interaction there. It is way less costly, but it is simply not in the same class as AKR. Not even close.

Not following that.

If somebody pays $2500 for the Key Deluxe, you're already essentially paying the former price and the local comparable double occupancy rate. Of course there's no single supplement, it's already built into the pricing structure...you're paying double already.

You get the same description room at the other one-of the two real-deal comparable dive resorts, Coco View, for $1400 per person. So you could do the math and figure that for two people, you could do AKR for $150 each cheaper by using AKRs BOGO offer.

It's really not all that much of a 1/2 price as you might think, certainly not an escape from the single supplement in any way. If you go as a single, you are going to pay $1250 plus a "hidden" single supplement of $1250.

I myself have been diving a lot with AKR, I've seen all the rooms, eaten there a few times- it is an excellent product, it is a dive resort, no excuses.

You mention Turqouise Bay TBR, I've had similar interaction there. It is way less costly, but it is simply not in the same class as AKR. Not even close.

CocoView is a great option but I was mostly thinking about SB member @V. James who is looking to travel as a new single diver in early January 2019. I'm guessing that popular CoCoView would be booked up by now for early January - although it is certainly worth checking - they might get a cancellation. Of course I don't know if AKR has availability either.

It appears that @Doc is probably correct about AKR. Two people are the price of one (half price each), one person is the price for one (full price). In Doc's example, 2 people pay $2499 for Key Deluxe Dive Package, 1 person pays the same. So, this is not a good deal, I would call them to see if they would cut a single traveler a break, they should. I went to Cayman Brac Beach Resort last Halloween Cayman Brac Beach Resort/Reef Divers Oct 23-30, 2017 I called them up and for my reservation and ended up paying only a 20% single supplement (20% over the per person rate for double occupancy).

My wife and I visited Turquoise Bay in the summer of 2017 and had a great time Turquoise Bay Resort/Subway Watersports August 2017 They are considerably less expensive than AKR and have a very reasonable single supplement of $179, 15-16%, depending on room type. However, I hear wind and waves make that side of the island difficult/impossible during part of the year and that the operations temporarily relocate. That would take some of the fun out of it. Doc can likely comment on the conditions

I'll be at AKR next month for the 3rd time. I've never been to Coco but would rate AKR as excellent. It's very scripted but delivers maximum convenience and enjoyment for minimal effort.

I have been there in March and could have done without AC most of the time but it is still nice to have when you just get off the boat in the afternoon sun. I've never understood why they don't just add window units to the non-AC rooms. When it's time to book our next stay, it seems the Hill Superior and Key Superior (AC) rooms are the first to go. The last rooms available are Key Deluxe (pricy) and Hill Standard (no AC). Clearly, people would rather pay a little extra for AC. By my rough math, seems they would pay for the unit in a season.

It still looks like a great deal but the prices are creeping up. Hill Superior w/diving is $1949 plus 19% tax, total $2319. This year we are paying $2176 total. About 4 years ago it was around $1800 total.

As for the insects, it's a much bigger issue on the key than the hill. Last year we were given a free upgrade to a Key Superior room at the back of the key. It's a lot of extra walking, a lot of waiting for a water taxi (not a long wait any given time), no see 'ums in the sand mugging you while you walk. If offered the upgrade this year, we will politely decline and stay on the hill.

One other thought on the BOGO vs single pricing. We wanted to go and stay in a Key Superior room along with our (adult) grandson. The plan was all three of us would be in one room. Pricing was $2500 for my wife and I. Pricing to have our grandson stay in our room was another $2500. Price to have him stay in his own cottage $2500. Crazy to me that there is no break for adding a 3rd person in your room. With the way the pricing is, we decided to get two rooms and find another person to come along (essentially for free).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom