Another wing size thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vixtor

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello Tobin,

A happy LCD30 user for about 6 years, I'm thinking now to get a wing for doubles.

My usual diving is in drysuit. Currently I'm using 6-8 kg of weight (13-18 lbs), depending on what else i carry with me (like reel, hammer, and so on), with a 15L steel tank (105 cubic feet in imperial sizing), and your steel backplate. This is in the brackish water of the Black Sea.

Recently I made a dive in fresh water, with 12L steel doubles (2x85 cubic feet), with your backplate and a borrwed Halcyon wing. I have only used a third of the air capacity. With the same drysuit and undersuit (but as said, in fresh water, so less buoyancy), I needed 3kg of weight and I was a little bit too light for my taste at the end of the dive. If I would have used more than a third of the air, probably 4kg would have been better. Back to brackish water, probably 4-5kg would have been required.

I intend to dive double 10 or double 12L tanks. Two such tanks will have a buoyancy of ~-6kg when full, to which I would add probably 2-3kg for regs and manifolds and 2.1kg for your backplate, for a total of -11kg (24 lbs).

Adding a total loss of drysuit buoyancy of 18lbs, I get a size of 42lbs wing.

Can you please confirm this, and/or maybe provide some insight about what to get - would the Torus42 be the right choice, or maybe something else?

Thanks,
Victor

Back
Top Bottom