Another upside to exercise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

merxlin

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just had my my yearly physical. 2 years ago I was 45 lbs heavier, but thought I was in fair shape. However, my blood pressure was 135/85 (first time ever over 120/80 in my life) and my cholesterol was 235. I went from 228 lbs to 183 lbs over 8 months, took up diving, and thought all was good with the world. So last year when my BP was better (115/78) I thought I was golden until the cholesterol came in at 226. What the heck? I'm eating good, not being a couch potato, and I'm still over 225? So this year I started some cardio on the treadmill (5-6 days a week, various routines for 30-40 min and at least 2 miles/300 calories burned), and Feb 1 started 2 x a week to the gym for weight training. This year BP was 90/60 (guess giving up almost all caffeine helped too), and cholesterol was 172. The only thing different about my lifestyle is the extra cardio and weight training, and those were only for the last few months. I was shocked.

I'm more of a lurker than a joiner, which is why I only poke my head in here once in a while. I admire and appreciate all the help and support this group lends to each other. So although you might not see the results on your scale or even in how you feel, the benefits are there! Keep up the effort, it WILL pay off in the long run.

Thanks for letting me share.

wow... you must be happy

(My BP goes up ten points when I gain ten pounds.)

Another thing that I hear is huge is roughage for your cholesterol.

JB's sister has qualified for the Iron man and she was 240! She just told me that she started eating black beans every day and she came down about 50 points in five weeks. (Cholesterol)

This is impressive. I think it's always good to look for ways to keep improving your fitness. Not in the obsessive/compulsive ways, but in the little ways too, like you've done. Good for you.

Black beans? There's a sophmoric joke in there somewhere, I'm sure. Oatmeal is supposed to have dramatic effects on cholesterol too. I have to watch it more than any other issue that I know of, it's always right there peeking at the bad side, no matter what I do.

I go for my physical in 2 weeks, hope I have as good news as you got! Ugh, plus I have to get shots for my summer trip to PNG... worse than having high cholesterol, I think. :(

PNG? traitor...

you should get on fish oil

Yea, well, as the whole shots thing looms closer, I'm reevaluating my whole travel decision. No end of people are all too happy to share with me the horrible experiences their cousins brother-in-law sisters uncle had with their hepatitis/encephalitis/typhoid vaccinations. The diseases sound more enjoyable.

Fish oil works? Are there different varieties, or is fish oil fish oil? How does it help cholesterol?

OHGoDive:
Oatmeal is supposed to have dramatic effects on cholesterol too.

I do eat oatmeal (steel cut, not instant or quick oats) 2-3 mornings a week now. That could have been a factor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom