Another PP2 bites the dust ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

highdesert

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
OK, I guess I should be glad that my wife's PP2 lasted exactly a year (yesterday, here at Wakatobi) before it took a dump. Mine only lasted 3 months (died in January in Belize). Sure, Oceanic will replace it, but that does nothing to justify the inconvenience and possible danger of a unit going out on a trip like this. For us, diving always means a long, expensive trip. It's not like we can drive home after the dive and put a spare in the gear bag. It is irritating, inconvenient, expensive, and maddening!!!!

For what it's worth, if you're out there Peter Krause, the divemaster on our boat said it seemed that every time a new group showed up here, someone had trouble with an Oceanic computer. Then he went on to tell me what brand they never saw problems with. Guess which I'll get for a replacement? And which I will tell others to steer clear of?

My observation ... if one company can do the job right, it's obviously possible. It falls on the other companies to find out whay they cannot, and fix the problem. If not, let the market take its course.

Suunto ... didn't say the never fail ... but that they don't see problems with them here, as opposed to comparatively frequent problems with Oceanic. Those are just the observations of one DM at one location, but to hear them say they frequently see problems with one brand, and not with another, over the course of time that is worth something, I think. I'm sure you can find users of any brand who have had issues with them.

My wife is now diving nitrox on an air computer. Sure, we understand the added safety margin that provides, but that doesn't really do much to allay my pissed-off-edness.

I have two pro plus 2 computers. Both are over a year old and are still working great. (70+ dives)

Hmmm, we have both a PP2 and an Aeris computer, both have well over 100 dives on them and they're still going strong.

Also, I think you mean DOUG Krause, not Peter. Sorry to hear your computer crapped out, that sucks regardless of the brand.

I'm really curious as to what failures you have seen.
Can you share anymore details about the failures?
What do you mean by "took a dump"?
Were the 2 failures the same/similar?
Did the batteries die? Had the batteries just been replaced?
Was it during dives? During/after a PC download?, 1st dive of trip?
Display just go blank? PDC lock up?, etc...

--- bill

Can't write a lot. Wakatobi Internet makes 28 bps dialup look like blazing speed. Both failures totally different. First one related to occasional display of incorrect tank pressure. Second one is apparently a real processor error. Went in to change a setting, and all of the available choices under that menu would scroll rapidly, repeatedly, with no way of stopping it. Same under any setting choice. Then display failure, for instance a "3" would also have a ghost "8" showng. Twenty-four hours later, middle of night, thing starts beeping, flashing back light on/off, displaying symbols I have never seen all over display. Remember the movie "Contact", where the other planet start sending data to Earth? Yeah, kinda like that.

Now just sitting watining for battery to fail, cant turn it off. No real Oceanic guru here, shop says, "Don't dive this thing." Cannot do a manual reset per instruction book, and not willing to pull battery to interrupt power source and risk flooding. Yes, I have O-ring kit. We're getting by on the borrowed computer OK.

Yes, sorry, I meant Doug Krause.

Back
Top Bottom