Another old guy needs help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Savars

New
Reaction score
I am new to diving world. And trying to buy my equipment .
i leave in Seattle and since I travel to Far East a lot due to business. I will do most of my diving in warm water, but like the option of being able to dive in cold water also, I have looked at the mares pro tech bcd.
Like to get some un byes opinion. Local dive shop here really don't like it and trying to push me towards other bcd and automic SS1. And scubapro tactical mk25 G260,
also I like the idea of my computer keeping all my data and I don't have worry about keeping my historic data. Need something user friendly. So thinking about cobalt 2,
any idea?
help

The shop will try to push you to buy what they can sell and therefore I would always be skeptical of their advice. The time to start believing advice you get from shops is when you hear the same advice from different shops or from divers you trust.

First, about the BCD. Mares makes good BCDs so if want to buy the pro tec I don't see any reason why you would be dissatisfied with it. I hear it can be partially dismantled for travelling as well which is supposed to be a handy feature. I don't know about that but it's worth looking at it if you travel and dive locally with the same BCD.

About the SS1: Personally I don't like safe seconds on the inflator. They were popular back in the day but that was only because the regulators we had at the time lacked enough low-pressure ports to put a dedicated octopus on it. Moreover, if you do actually have to use one and make an ascent then your buddy will be using your primary, which has quite a short hose for air sharing, and you will have to manage ascending and venting air from your BCD at the same time you have your inflator in your mouth. I always found that a bit awkward. Personally I would recommend a normal octopus for you for 2 reasons. (1) if you are travelling and for some reason you need to use a different BCD (say yours breaks) then you will need to rent a BCD and a regulator because your safe second is attached to your BCD and (2) you will be diving some of the time with "insta-buddies" who will very likely have learned on a "normal" regulator setup and are unlikely to be familiar with the use of an SS1.

Scubapro regulators have a good reputation and they're solid. However, other regulators are also good and well made. Brands like Mares, Aqualung, Apeks, Scubapro, Atomic all make good regulators and there are others too. It's hard to find a *bad* regulator these days but make a list of brands people suggest and look at those first. My advice is to just shop around and buy what you want. You'll have to get them serviced once a year so if you buy them from a shop clear across town you'll have probably drive there once a year to get them serviced. Your local shop may service them but they may also only service the brands they sell. Check in to that.

As for the computer, I don't like computers on the console, especially if you're travelling. If for any reason you need to rent a regulator then you'll have to get them to take your computer off and put it on the rental reg. moreover, a computer on the console will be stored with your gear and theft on vacation is a real possibility. If your computer gets stolen then you will have to rent a different one and skip a day of diving because of that. A wrist worn one, say the size of a large wrist watch, may be a better choice for you because it's more flexible and you can wear it all day to keep anyone from stealing it. Several brands of wrist worn computers are available, Suunto, Mares, Scubapro, Cressi are a few. Features and your budget will guide you to the right one.

hope that helps.

R..

I'd also look for a modular type BC that can be partially disassembled or even completely taken apart into several components. I have an article on these that I send to anyone who provides an email address. It's 11 pages with photos and too big to post here. There are certain types that can be easily adapted to warm or cold water in a few minutes. They can be worn one day with a rash guard or t shirt in the morning for a shallow dive and with a dry suit in the afternoon for a long deep dive.

As for the reg- no surprise they are pushing that. It's one of the most expensive in the line. The Mk 25 is also not really preferred for cold water. The Mk 17 is a better choice for that. Either one will set you back some serious change. Personally I prefer a sealed diaphragm reg over a piston. You can get a complete set that performs as well as the Mk 25 or Mk 17 and G 260 for half the price of those.

I personally use HOG D-1's and Classic or Zenith second stages. Yes I do sell them but was using them long before I became a dealer. You also don't want to get trapped in a supposed "free parts for life program" that is dependent on you taking the regs in for service when they don't really need it. Tip- the parts are not free- you are paying for them on the front end.

I also have had Oceanic's and Sherwood's that I would take over the ScubaPro's.

Also not a fan of consoles. Wrist computer only for me with a simple SPG on the HP hose.

I am new to diving world. And trying to buy my equipment .
i leave in Seattle and since I travel to Far East a lot due to business. I will do most of my diving in warm water, but like the option of being able to dive in cold water also, I have looked at the mares pro tech bcd.

Have you considered a backplate and wing? This question comes up several times a week here on SB, and if you like, I'm happy to give you my opinion on this.

The reason that it is often brought up in these threads is that (1) many new divers don't even realize that they exist, and (2) many of us really feel that they are the best option for any kind of diving. I use mine at home with my dry suit and double tanks, then then take it to the Caribbean where I use it with an aluminum 80 and a shorty 3 mm wetsuit. I can't think of a situation where any level of diver would be better served by buying a jacket BC over a BP/W.

---------- Post added July 21st, 2015 at 07:25 AM ----------

also I like the idea of my computer keeping all my data and I don't have worry about keeping my historic data.

Pretty much any modern computer will keep all of your data (logs), but if you actually care about that data, you shouldn't just leave it on your dive computer and forget about it. You should somehow transfer it to a log book (digital or otherwise).

If cold water is a concern, I believe the MK25 EVO's work colder than the MK25 since they have the XTIS system. The difference my be 50o vs. 39o but ask your dealer - I'm not a Scubapro owner.

HOG comes up here a lot on SB since they're an affordable alternative. One thing to investigate is dealer coverage in your area and where you travel. Most mfr's have dealer locators on their website that make it pretty simple. The likelihood of your reg failing on a trip is small but I like to use mine when I do travel instead of rentals - why I bought it. I've had exactly one failure in decades but since the tech at the shop we dove with could service mine, I had to sit out one dive - he fixed it and got it back to me during lunch so I could use it the rest of the week instead of renting. I don't travel to the far east but what I've noticed most places is Aqualung, Scubapro or Mares often have dealers at many of the dive destinations I have been to in the Caribbean etc.

An SS1 is also a regulator. And needs to be serviced at regular intervals. Fortunately both have a 2 year service interval but the SS1's is 300 dives while the Scubapro's is 100. Both need to be serviced by factory authorized dealers - it sounds like your shop could be both though since they're pushing in that direction. If you wanted to stay all Scubapro they sell the Air2 - 5th Gen.

Although the Cobalt 2 stores 600 hours worth of dives in the event of a flood or other physical damage storing everything only on it can lead to all your data being lost.So download the Cobalt to a regular computer periodically. It really is a gorgeous usable display, I could read my buddies over his shoulder once in not the clearest of conditions. You won't have to worry about the Cobalt getting stolen either since it has a quick-disconnect to take it with you. Personally even if I store my gear with a shop, my regs, computer and camera gear go in a bag with me daily - I have way too much invested.

A Mares Pro Tec Hybrid weighs 9.7 lbs. That's heavy for a Travel BC. It is of course lighter if you take the modular weight system off and leave it home but that means wearing a weight belt most likely at your destination. Good choice in going with a back-inflate design though instead of a jacket.

The absolute lightest Travel BC is the Zeagle Covert at 3.9 lbs. but it won't have the lift needed for cold water diving. A compromise in their line is the Stiletto, a single tank BC with a 35lb lift wing so it would work in cold water single tank diving also. About 7.4lbs. They market it as a travel bc also and I have stuffed one into a roller carry-on but it was a tight fit - no room for much of anything else.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom