Another Negative Buoyant Fin Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GF99/99

Contributor
Reaction score
I am looking for the most negative buoyant fins on the market. Right now I find on sidemount with 4 to 5 regs upfront I am just tipping face first. I am using X-deep classic and have actually scooted the wing as far up my back as possible but still able to reach the dump valve to try and get more buoyancy up front. It helps but I am still face planting if I stop frog kicking my feet down.

I am currently using RK3 regular fins but find they are pretty floppy and light. I am looking at the obvious negative buoyant fins; Jet fins, F1’s, Slipstreams, and the RK3 HD’s

Im sure someone will ask about wetsuits etc.; generally for dives with run time under 80min I use a 3mm and for dives with run time over 80min I will use a 5mm I tend to get cold really easy especially on long deco stops. And for my natural buoyance (body type/don’t really know what you call this) I am pretty heavy, single tank recreational diving in a 3mm I do not wear any weights. Oh yeah and back to the tropical thing, all S80 allies

Any info or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I don't know about the "heaviest" but my Hollis F1 fins are pretty darn heavy in the water.

Ankle weights? I have a pair that will sometimes get used under just the right configurations. Generally can avoid them, but you are carrying more than I do.

Might try some Power Planas. My wife sometimes dives them. I accidentally grabbed them for a rec boat dive and I felt like I spent an hour walking up steps. When I handed them up at the ladder, the DM almost dropped them and said, "Man, those are some fins." :) Geez they are heavy.

Hi All,

Thanks for the feedback so far, I know that there are a lot of "heavy" fins out there but I am looking for the most negative buoyant fin. Some fins can be 2kg (about 4.5lbs for the Americans) but still be positively buoyant depending on the material.

Also broncobowsher I don't think I am going to go the ankle weight route, however thanks for the suggestion.

F1’s, SP jets, turtles are generally the most negative.

Hmm. Some fins you like + flat fishing weights + glue + tape???

Might try some Power Planas. My wife sometimes dives them. I accidentally grabbed them for a rec boat dive and I felt like I spent an hour walking up steps. When I handed them up at the ladder, the DM almost dropped them and said, "Man, those are some fins." :) Geez they are heavy.

Same here.

Back
Top Bottom