Another Light Cannon Problem!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AZ_Zoner

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I've have a new LC that has been on two dives and failed on two dives. Both times I've installed new batteries. I've played around with it a little more and found that after a few rapid movements with it, it goes out. It will restart, sometimes. I've checked battery contacts and the bulb contacts. The bulb feels loose to me.

Anybody else seen this problem? Any ideas before I pack it up and send it in to UK?

CB

I have been repairing these monsters (I have three of them) for some time.

For your problem, Slowly use the switch to turn on the light. If you hear a click, then the micro switch appears to be working. If not, the metal activating level can be carefully bent out a tad to improve the switch contact area. Be sure the micro switch small screws are tight and the switch is not twisted.

The bulb is rather loose. It sits in the socket with two rather short prongs. You can carefully clean the bulb twin leads with Scotch Brite. Corrosion on the leads should then vanish.

The wire from the micro switch is connected to a cheap "tin" plate and tin soldered in place. It may look like a connection is made but the solder joint may be broken.

To fix this you will have to remove the entire back plate on the lamp assembly and slide the contact out of the back plate. Rough up the plate with fine sandpaper throughly, tinned with a 35 watt soldering iron and then resolder the wire back on the plate. This iron is VERY hot but the type of metal used needs to get very hot (briefly).

The batteries can be deformed by the extreme pressure exerted on the them when the light is completely asemblied. The ends of the batteries may BE DEFORMED AND COULD BE A PROBLEM.

One bad battery will result in poor operation. Measure each four battery bank. The battery voltage should exceed 6.3 VDC with good batteries. If the voltage has dropped below 6.0 VDC the light will not illuminte every time. Indivdual batteries should measure 1.6 to 1.8 VDC (Alkaline only). If you are using NiCAD, this may be your reason. The voltage is too low (although some do use them, I guess successfully).

Or, take it back and ask for a refund.

Not to sound like an advertisement, but my light cannon has been functioning perfectly since I invested in the UK NiCd recargeable battery pack. No more aborted night dives due to the finicky nature of the light...yay.

Joe

Bill,

Thanks for the tips. I've been playing with it a bit more and think that it is an interruption in the power from vibration somewhere. It will shine forever if you don't move it too much. A little hit and it's gone. I did try tweaking the battery pads some and will try moving the micro switch a bit.

Joe,

The way I go through batteries I may give those re-chargeable batteries a try.

Thanks

CB

Duracell. When the light does work, it starts quickly and is bright without flickering.

CB

Back
Top Bottom