Another How To?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ArcticDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
Just bought a pair of new laptops. These have all the wireless stuff, etc but no floppy drive. The old computer has none of the wireless stuff; but does have a floppy. I will be adding a wireless card to the old one once the router is up and working. But who knows when that will be?

But I would like to transfer some stuff off the old machine Now. I would like to transfer my Palm Desktop and Data, IE Favorites, Outlook Express Emails and Address Book. So, what is the best way? Can I add the wireless card to the old one and use the WiFi in each to link? USB reverse cable the way we used to use a straight serial cable? Or, must I burn CD's and do it that way?

The idea is ease, not technical sophistication as this should be a one time activity. Once the router is up, whenever, then obviously everything will be set up to share;so no problem.

I would drop the wireless card in the old one. Even if you don't have a router working yet you can do a peer-to-peer directly between the new laptop and the old one. That would be the best way if you're going to add a wireless card anyway.

If you have the wireless router.....even if it is not configured you can still use the other ports as a switch. Linksys has like 4 on the back. Plug a cable into each of the computers.....If you haven't messed with it already, most wireless routers will give you an address.....

Then you can connect to the other computer....assuming you are in the same workgroup......and are using the same username and password on both computers. (this is for windows workgroups)

If you have any questions...just shoot me a pm and I can walk you through some things...

Kenny:wink:

Want easy, go get a flash drive. You can get 128MB for under $20 retail. I just bought a 1GB drive for $39. Plug it into either computer's USB port and it will be seen in explorer as a new drive. Just copy your stuff over and repeat the process to add it to the new computer(s).

Although the easiest approach would be to just burn a CD...you're not talking about a lot of data.

Btw, IE has an Import Export function for your favorites.

To move my Palm stuff, I just copied my Palm directory to the new computer then just loaded the Palm Desktop onto it, specifying the same directory for the new installation, it overwrote the system files, but kept all my data.

Task accomplished. Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm a bit embarrased though. I had a 512MB flash drive in the desk drawer but didn't even think of it until your suggestion.

SB members score again:D

haha...don't feel bad....I do this type of stuff all day...everyday....and didn't think about it.:wink: It is the obvious stuff that gets me.... :D

Kenny

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom