Another GoPro Lighting Question: How many lumens to be worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

moose_grunt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I recently got myself a Hero 8 Black to replace my Hero 3 that died a few years ago. That, plus a pending move, have really motivated me to try to document some of the really cool dive sites that I'll probably never see again.

I'm diving clear blue water, 150-200 ft. Without any lighting, everything is, well, blue. I've got a 35w HID with a reflector that I remember being like a small sun about 10 years ago, but it's just not cutting it for me (see below pictures).

GOPR1294.JPG
WWII 16" shell nosed into the reef at 150 ft. They missed...

GOPR1290.JPG
A handful of Spanish storage jars from a galleon shipwreck at 180 ft.

I've always gotten the "find the most lumens you can afford, and then buy two," or specific brand/model recommendations based on someone's limited use and a different environment.

I want to ask this a different way: how many lumens are needed to be worth it? Shooting clear water, deep, wide gopro, just want to light up the foreground. There are deals to be had on different brands and models all the way up the spectrum, but I don't want to waste good money on a pair of lights just to wish I had waited and saved to get a couple/few thousand more lumens. On the other hand, I'm not shooting 8K for NatGeo, so don't need a pair of lights that are as big and expensive as my scooter.

Anyone want to take a stab?

Thanks,
Jim

I once went to a dive event where an underwater cinematographer (IMAX format) declared that there is no such thing as too little light when underwater. Get as much as you can afford.

Even with the highest power video lights, anything beyond a few feet is going to be pure blue at the depths you are diving. A pair of lights in the 3500-5000 lumen range will allow you to effectively light a subject in the immediate foreground. Anything less is only useful for macro or extreme close ups. With recent advances in COB and battery tech, there are now many options available in the $300-500 range.

Thanks, that’s at least a good number to start with. The problem with “buy as much as you can afford” doesn’t really tell me when I need to increase my budget or risk just wasting money. There were a few lights in the 3000 lumens range that I had my eye on that I almost picked up through Memorial Day sales. Based on the last post, I suspect I would have been disappointed, and need to budget more.

Keep the comments coming!
Jim

There were a few lights in the 3000 lumens range that I had my eye on that I almost picked up through Memorial Day sales.
One or even better two 3000 lm lights will make a HUGE difference. I've been running with one 1200 lm and it's been ok, just. Have fun :thumb:

Getting closer and working on your composition will also reap big benefits.

The below from bluewater photo would make a nice improvement.

upload_2020-6-1_16-17-29.png

Have you tried just running your blue pictures through the iDive photo app? It has made some of my pictures from blue to wow. Works best if you don't add artificial light.

Have you tried just running your blue pictures through the iDive photo app? It has made some of my pictures from blue to wow. Works best if you don't add artificial light.
I actually ran one of the pics that was posted through it. The depth is a problem as there is less to work with by the app, need lots of light at that depth.

Attachments

• 1590880878331-237652831.jpg
    1590880878331-237652831.jpg
    404 KB · Views: 242
150-200' in Truk the pictures cleaned up nice with iDive. The ones that didn't were the ones that I was trying to add extra light to. When I get some time I'll try and find some before/after pictures.

Even with the highest power video lights, anything beyond a few feet is going to be pure blue at the depths you are diving. A pair of lights in the 3500-5000 lumen range will allow you to effectively light a subject in the immediate foreground. Anything less is only useful for macro or extreme close ups. With recent advances in COB and battery tech, there are now many options available in the $300-500 range.

I agree with this. I used to have a GoPro and at the end I had x2 3500 lumen lights. In some instances, it still wasn’t enough, even with a wide angle lens close up on the GoPro. That would be the minimum suggestion I would go with if you want decent exposure and proper lighting without shadows that will allow you to shoot subjects a little further away that is moving. Sticking things through Lightroom or Dive+ will work if there’s decent ambient light but if you go deep and it’s dark enough, or overcast enough, there’s only so much it will do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom