Another Fusion review...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveJedi

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
This article comes from a flemish dive magazine called "Hippocampus" - the link can be found here.

I have attached the English translation below:

The Fusion is a new kind of dry suit that starts a revolution in dry diving in the States. During a demonstration- and test day in the Zilvermeer, a lake in Belgium, I was fully fitted after a professional and advertising explanation. The dressing ritual started with two layers (Mk 1 and 2) of undergarment with the purpose of protecting me against the cold. The use of multiple layers is since long the experts advise as a better solution against the cold than one thick layer. On top of those came the suit that was the subject of the day.

The patented concept of the Fusion is in fact the combination of two suits. The inner suit is a loose, very strong suit, complete with latex wrist and neck seals, soft socks and zipper. This suit is attached by Velcro at the wrists, the ankles and the neck to a second, independently moving stretch suit. The result is a perfect fit dry suit with superior freedom of movement.

The external layer is available in three types: Sports, SAR and Technical. These external layers may be purchased separately. I had the opportunity to test the Technical suit, a reinforced neoprene skin with extra pockets on.

Suiting up the double layers proved more difficult than expected. It demands a certain skill that undoubtedly increases with exercise. Nevertheless, almost immediately the freedom of movement was noticed. Pulling on the Evo 3 Rough Boots? with neoprene socks for warmth, by myself didn't demand strange nor difficult gestures. No, it was like the daily practise of putting shoes on.

Even closing the double front zipper, from left to right, without a helping hand was a success.

The transit to the waterfront went so smoothly that I, for a moment, forgot I was already wearing a dry suit. No wonder professionals like coastguards, firemen, appreciate this suit.

Tank on the back and into the water. While entering the water I didn't get the usual constriction at the legs. A coincidence? During the first minutes under water, I noticed the excellent position in the water. Even during rollovers on the back and hanging upside-down, there was little air moving around. Nevertheless, to dive really comfortable with this combination I need a half kilo of weight around the ankles.

The dive went very smooth. The inlet valve didn't make a "aoooeeeezz" sound which made me think it was malfunctioning. While pressing the valve I felt air rushing in, which assured me everything worked fine. The outlet valve too worked flawlessly, so going up and down passed without many manipulations.

After 45 minutes in water of 8°C the cold wasn't yet kicking in. Unfortunately the Zilvermeer doesn't offer the opportunity to go deep and also the thermocline is nowhere to be found. Due to my aerobatics I was getting behind the dive leader, but with this suit I had no problem catching up. The streamline was almost perfect. Diving with a Fusion, according to the manufacturer much loved by cave divers and techies, is like diving with a good wet suit.

At the closure of the dive I tried out some unusual stuff. Ascending horizontal flat succeeded with no problems. Recovery after blowing up the suit in an upside-down position, an impossible task with my own dry suit, went nice and fast. Even blowing up the suit with the outlet valve downward caused no problem.

Does this suit have any disadvantages? Beside the strange look some people speak about a Power Ranger resemblance I can think of none. The only vulnerable parts are the feet. The danger for a hole when stepping onto something sharp before you have your boots on is real.

But beside that? Surfing on the internet I only found positive comments. If this suit doesn't mean a revolution in diving, than I'm convinced, after one dive, that it is surely getting very close. If you consider buying a dry suit, you're obliged to try the Fusion before you decide.

More information on the website: Whites Diving | Fusion Dive Suit
Tekst: Patrick Van Hoeserlande
Hippocampus 222 - February 2009

Our Thanks go out to Patrick

Until the next dive,
Tyler

A year after buying my Fusion, I'm with Patrick.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom