Another dumb question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rab9361

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
A few months ago I asked for an explanation of the differences between land based and underwater wide angle lenses. Now I have a new question. Do wide angle lenses have to be matched to the underwater housing in order to focus properly, or can a lens mount be fabricated to attach a lens to a housing not originally designed for one i.e. Canon's "WP DC-10" ?

Thanks for your patience with those of us new to photography.

You will be entering uncharted territory if you do so.
And might compromise focus capabilities, and lens/sensor coverage.
In theory it can be done, but finding the right adapter and the right distance might be difficult as the necessary information is much more scarce for compacts than for DSLR systems.
In the end might waste more money than the price of the WA adapter for your camera.
WA adapters are very cheap for compacts, I strongly suggest you stay with the ones made for your camera, or upgrade your system to another one with a better WA adapter if you are really into it.

Inon makes an adapter but good luck with that now that Inon America is defunct.

The primary issues with wet mount lenses are that long zoom ratio lenses require such a long port that the wet lens is to far away from the objective lens and vignetting can be severe. The other issue is that some of the larger P&S cameras have a fairly large objective lens diameter which exceeds the rear element of the wet lens thus causing vignetting. I suspect that both the Inon 105AD WAL and 165AD fisheye and 165AD macro lenses would work with that housing with the Inon adapter. Might be like putting a Maserati engine in a Vega but who knows.

I believe that adapter is no longer available, sorry.

N

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom