Another Dry Suit Question - Reading material on operation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Windknot

Contributor
Reaction score
I just love this board. The answers to all of my questions thus far have been quickly and thoroughly answered.

Therefore, I'll press on.

Here's the deal. I'm going to buy a dry suit. That's a given. I'll probably rent through my entire class and initial dives and then I will be able to make a more informed decision as to which type/brand to purchase.

I'm a little anal about my learning. I prefer to be WAY over educated BEFORE I start a class. I prefer to research my butt off before walking into any type of training that way i'm always a little ahead of the curve, not to mention (and more importantly) more comfortable about the subject matter.

Again, I must apologize for my dissertation style of interrogative, but I write as much as I talk.

Here's the Question:

Are there any printed works, articles or internet posts out there (Preferably on line [read free]) that I can study ahead of time on how to dive with a dry suit? Specifically, operation, procedures, etc? I assure you my request is not designed to bypass or replace my dry suit training, just augment it and give me a few steps ahead of the game.

As always, your help is appreciated and thanks in advance.

p.s. Can you believe that the Lions WON!!!! Sorry Dallas...it was a fluke.

Hi Windknot:

The most extensive book on dry suit diving I have found is the

DRY SUIT DIVING
Third edition
A GUIDE TO DIVING DRY

This book is authored by Steve Barsky, Dick Long & Bob Stinton.

This book has all that you will ever need to know about diving dry. It takes you from the early days of diving right up to the present. It discusses material’s, valves, undergarments, procedures, repairs, ect…… The book is soft cover and the cost is about $16.00. You can get a copy of the book from Hammerhead Press, Barnes & Noble or Amazon.com all available online. I was already a dry suit certified search & recovery / rescue dive, when I purchased the book and I found it very interesting and informative.

Dive Safe……………………………Arduous

I too just got into drysuit diving. The suit I bought came with a 'drysuit course' which is valued at around $175.00. The store owner/instructor gave me the Padi video and booklet to review and I must admit that while it is pretty basic it is thorough. It also covers a good part of the suit materials offered. If you know someone who has taken this course it would be worth viewing.
Be sure to take a course...don't be like the diver who showed up to dive the Dorea and had never dove dry before...

Hi Windknot,
Getting a good dry suit can make all the difference to your enjoyment of diving. A common dilemma is that they are so expensive particularly when you don't know if you are going to become a regular diver. Some shops rent out suits and it is possible to do deal where the rental cost will be applied to the full purchase price if you decide to keep the suit. In the UK they charge around +-$40 a day for suit hire; learning with a 2 day 5 dive padi outfit it wouldn't really save you anything, but if you are training with a club it could be +- 14 days and 25-35 dives.
I think shell suits are best, provided you get a good heavy duty tril-laminate with suitable heavy duty boots. I dive from rocky shores and find light weight shell suits and boots are easily punctured. I like a shoulder auto dump, cuff rings so you can quickly change the latex seals, and I prefer a self donning front zip, but that is a personal choice. Over here in the UK we are starting to see more manufactures introducing Cordura suits which I am told is heavier but more abrasive resistant.

Windknot,

I'm a big research-the-item-to-death-before-I-buy person too.

Have you tried internet search? Maybe even www.ask.com will come up with worthwhile pages to answer your questions.

Also, some dry suit manufacturers have their user manual on-line in PDF format. Try http://www.dui-online.com

Good luck!

S :)

Windknot....

I don't have any reading material for you but I do identify with your pre-class learning ideals....

I do have a tip for you....
It probably will not be what you learn in class....
So when you are in class just do what they tell you....

*don't use the suit for buoyancy control - use your BC*

I'll leave it at that and if you ever want to know why just let me know.

I read the book Drysuit Diving, referenced above. It was good, but basically went over stuff I'd already been told. Everyone tried to scare me to death about getting upside down cause of the air in your boots, which does happen, but it wasn't as big a deal as I'd been led to believe. The most difficult thing to master is the moving air bubble, and the constant feeling of being just a bit out of balance, a near constant feeling until you get familiar, which will take 10-20 dives depending on the suit and your skills. You should get everything you need, and more, from the class, if you take one. I didn't, because the main thing I needed was familiarization time, which I'm still accumulating. Here in Texas, Drysuits haven't been common, though there are more and more of them around.

In Michigan, you gotta have one.

Dave

Originally posted by Campana
The most difficult thing to master is the moving air bubble, and the constant feeling of being just a bit out of balance, a near constant feeling until you get familiar, which will take 10-20 dives depending on the suit and your skills. Dave

Dave you can conquer *the bubble* even faster than that....

With your suit on... before gearing up (this assumes a shore dive) wade out chest deep and hold your neck seal open....
wade out a little deeper if you dare....

Ahhhh.... most of the dread *bubble* has been vanquished!!!
We'll take care of the rest of it in a minute...

Go back and gear up and head out....

Now when you dump air from your BC/Wing to submerge...
Go down to around 20' and dump as much air out of the suit as will go easily....

Use your BC/wing to gain neutral buoyancy....

Don't add anymore gas to the suit until you hit 40' and then only enough to get that 20' squeeze...

Be sure to dump on the way up... and stay ahead of *Mr. Bubble*

If when you get home you have suit hickeys...
Come back and complain to Uncle....
You won't ....
And if you do they won't kill you :wink:

Back
Top Bottom