another dive shop going under: The Dive Site in Birmingham AL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mike_s

Contributor
Reaction score
Looks like yet another dive shop announcing it's going out of business. This
is the third dive shop that I've seen go under this year in Alabama.

The Dive Site in Birmingham just announced this.

Looks like he's closing his store and operations, but will still teach and
do some stuff on the side. His closing surprised me because he had
a "prime location" which was highly visable from I-65 in the Hoover area.

Letter emailed to Dive Site customers:
November 21, 2005

After 20 fun-filled and exciting years in the retail scuba business I have decided that it is time to retire. I have made thousands of friends and have many memories that I will always cherish. For two decades I have worked 6 and 7 days a week to assist people in pursuing their diving dreams and now it is time for me to enjoy diving with my family for a change.

I want to take this opportunity to inform my friends and customers of my retirement before the rumors of my demise hit the local “coconut telegraph”. I am retiring. The Dive Site is not “going out of business” in the traditional sense. Neither the Dive Site nor Steve Johnson is going bankrupt. I am going to continue teaching as will several of the instructors currently working with The Dive Site. The Scuba Ranger program will continue and, with more time to devote, will grow. We will also continue to sponsor trips and repair equipment.

For many years we have maintained one of the largest inventories of quality products and now it must all be liquidated. Currently, everything in stock is on sale and our closing presents incredible opportunities for our loyal customers to take advantage of slashed prices. I hope you will find time to come by for a visit before it’s too late.

It has been one heck of a ride and I will miss it very much. If you have any advice for my future, please don’t hesitate to share it with me!!

Adios amigos!

Steve Johnson

They don't have any of those $50 AL 80's do they eyebrow ?

SeaYoda:

ya know... RocketMan just asked me the same thing not 30 seconds ago....

If they do, I'll glady get you some.

Hate seeing a LDS go out of business but stuff happens. Darwanism at is finest...

Don't need any 80's but would not mind picking up a few $30 40's (brushed steel please)...

Actually this one is not Darwinism. Steve Johnson is one of the few dive shop owners I know that has a good business sense. His store was always clean, creatively decorated, well stocked, and the training very good. The closing of the Dive Site is a real tragedy and they will be missed.

SeaYoda:

Just got off the phone with them. no wonder they are going out of business.

They wanted $175 bucks for an aluminum 80 and have put it "on sale" for $165
for their going out of business sale. With prices like that, no wonder they're
closing. I don't think I've ever seen an AL80 priced for $175.

anyway... They are selling their rental tanks for $50 each though
which is a pretty good price.....

we might wonder down there this Saturday to see what else they've got
on sale.... if we do, I'll let you know and try to pick you up some tanks.

mike_s:
we might wonder down there this Saturday to see what else they've got
on sale.... if we do, I'll let you know and try to pick you up some tanks.
You're going that close to the Galleria the Saturday after Thanksgiving? You, sir, are a far braver man than I. I salute you!

Luke

ScubaLuke:
You're going that close to the Galleria the Saturday after Thanksgiving? You, sir, are a far braver man than I. I salute you!

Luke

LOL! So true, I hate that place, even when the shopping season isn't at its scariest point.

ScubaLuke:

Luke

Harry said that we're bringing you with us !!!!

Actually I've been sorta close to the Galleria the day after Thanksgiving.
We foolishly tried to go several years ago. The line to get into the
mall parking lot was backed up onto I-459, and backed up for several miles
on the interstate...... We never made it in... (that goodness, I didn't
really want to go there anyway).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom