Another critter ID, please...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sharky60

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
...is this another type of Crinoid? I don't think it's a plant form:confused:

019-HorseshoeBranchFan1.jpg

it's certainly not a plant, despite looking like a fern. It looks like a SEAPEN, which is an echinoderm related to the , but i'm not sure. what is the seabed? where was it taken?

try these

MarLIN - The Marine Life Information Network

or google for one of Bernard Picton's websites.

It was taken in Cozumel. I'm now thinking it's definately a soft coral of some sort, not a crinoid as I first thought.

any other takers?!! Dr. Bill? Dr. ANYBODY?

Looks like a type of hydroid. Perhaps Sertularella speciosa? Having lightly brushed my had against various types of hydroids while taking macro pictures, I tend to be very aware of them. They can create a rather interesting burning sensation if touched with bare skin.:D

Awsome!

I think that's it! Definately a Branching hydroid, (hydrozonan) of some sort.

I've had encounters with them myself, much like a fire coral "sting", not a lot of fun.

Since hurricane Wilma, they seem to be more prevalant on the reefs, along with much more small black coral branches...another critter you don't want to rub up against while shooting macro!

Thankx guys!! really appreciate the direction!!! :D

Back
Top Bottom