Another computer recomendation post

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Murphy in NC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
There is a lot of information out there on computers and it would take me weeks to sift through all the different algorithms, manufacturers, etc.

So I am looking for recommendations;

looking for wrist

middle of the road algorithm?
This is where I get stuck.
My son and I are both healthy, in shape and I don't know what I need here, I don't want the extreme either way in conservative or liberal.

When we go on a trip we usually do two or three dives a day for four or five days

I will probably do four more dive trips in 2020 and I am increasing my diving every year so counting on six trips a year for the next couple years then increasing from there

User friendly

Would like to be able to change battery

Air integrated option is fine however doesn't really matter as I will stick to gauges as primary in the beginning

I don't want to go cheapest however shearwater is probably more than I need now however will consider in a couple years when youngest is in college and I dive more.

I need to purchase two, one for son and myself

I don't love dive tables so I need a computer

I am 54 and my eyes aren't perfect, son is 17, no issues.
I am not looking for something that I would wear as a watch when not divng. So small enough to wear as a watch isn't a factor.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks

@Murphy in NC
If you value AI and user replaceable batteries, there really isn't any option other than the Perdix AI. Literally nothing else comes close to ticking those boxes, especially if you're worried about eyes.
They aren't that expensive, and you're diving enough that the $200-$300 each over a lesser computer will pay for itself fairly quickly.

AI really isn't that much a factor however changing my own battery is

@Murphy in NC
If you value AI and user replaceable batteries, there really isn't any option other than the Perdix AI. Literally nothing else comes close to ticking those boxes, especially if you're worried about eyes.
They aren't that expensive, and you're diving enough that the $200-$300 each over a lesser computer will pay for itself fairly quickly.

if changing your own battery is, and you don't want rechargeable, then I still stand by Perdix. If AI is even remotely on the option, then spend the extra $80 to get the AI version as a "just in case".
Anything cheaper than the $850 for a regular Perdix or the $935 for the AI Perdix that has a user replaceable battery is going to be a casio watch style display that is only going to make you play trombone every time you try to read the thing.

You'll find many on this forum favor the Perdix. That doesn't mean other computers are inferior or they suck. It simply means many on Scubaboard favor the Perdix and you'll get lots of support for it.

I dive with the Perdix and G2, both are AI compatable. The two computers have a color display. The G2 has three screen configurations: lite, classic, and full. The advantage of this is you can use the lite screen which shows less information, but the numbers are much larger; while diving you can push a button to view additional information. Your son can use another screen configuration that displays additional information, but smaller numbers. The G2 is much easier to use in terms of intuitiveness.

The Perdix uses a AA battery that you can change yourself. The G2 has a rechargable battery. When it comes to the transmitters, neither have a rechargable battery. The Perdix allows the user to change the Gradient Factors where as the G2 does not; however, being able to change the GF on the G2 will be forthcoming in the near future. Both are close in price, assuming you are buying new.

I know some people who dive with the Suunto Eon and like it. It too has a color display and is AI compatable. Some people don't like Suunto stating it is rather conservative. On the default setting it is conservative, however, you can change the settings to allow it to be more less conserative. I must admit, the built in compass on the Eon is much easier to use than the Perdix and G2. Generally speaking, the Eon is more expensive than the G2 and Perdix.

Your question about middle of the road algorithm needs clarification. What do you mean by middle of the road?
The G2 and Perdix use the Buhlman algorithm (with minor differences) meaning they are similar in terms of NDL and ascent rates. The Eon on the other hand can be a little tricky if you are not paying attention; it uses the RGBM algorithm. Depending on your dive profile, the Eon may require a longer safety stop beyond the usual three to five minutes. If it does, no big deal, just wait until it clears. I've seen divers get out the water before the countdown completed, only to be dismayed that it locked them out for 24 hours.

If you can, go and handle the computers. Play with the menus to compare which is easier to navigate and how easy it is to read the display. Keep in mind, though, you will not be able to view it as if you are on a dive.

I think the Perdix probably has the easiest possible battery change: AA battery, no special tools, easy-to-get o-rings.

I used a Suunto as my primary computer on a liveaboard without issue. Did 24 dives in 5 days, one was cancelled due to weather. The closest I came to deco was 5 minutes on a couple dives. I was using 32%.

My Geo 2.0 uses a CR 2430 battery that I just changed for the second time, it has 270 hours on it. My Vyper Novo has 258 hours on it and I have replaced the battery once. It uses CR 2450.

My Geo 2.0 uses a CR 2430 battery that I just changed for the second time, it has 270 hours on it. My Vyper Novo has 258 hours on it and I have replaced the battery once. It uses CR 2450.
Did you replace the o-rings, or just the battery?

Did you replace the o-rings, or just the battery?
The last battery change on the Geo I did not replace the O ring. The last on the Vyper I did. The battery kit for the Vyper was around $25 but came with 2 batteries, 2 O-rings and 2 sets of screws.

The perdix checks all boxes. It is not the only one though.

Aqualung and scubapro make computers with about the same screen size as the perdix. Not sure if they are user changeable batteries or not.

Other companies make large screen computers as well.

I was surprised when I got mine. My vision is fine but VIS around here is often very bad (inches bad) so large easy to read well lit screens are good here. Comparing the computers that had well lit large etc screens and I wanted AI price wise was comparable to the perdix and the LDS recommended the perdix over the others. But it not the only one out there and I do plan on getting into decompression diving at some point.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom