Another Brooklynite! (via midwest)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Katie L

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey there, everyone. My name is Katie, and I live in Brooklyn, New York. I am a new diver who got certified in 2013 in Utila, Honduras. Becoming a scuba diver has a dream of mine since I was 10 years old. I first became interested after then my dad (an occasional diver) told me that scuba was the closest thing to flying a human could probably experience. That alone was enough to convince me I had to learn, but reading "Shark Lady," about Eugenie Clark, over and over certainly did not hurt the cause. But the day my dad let me try breathing underwater on his spare safety regulator, the deal was sealed. I remember it vividly -- it was probably about one minute, but definitely the coolest thing I'd ever experienced.

It took another 16 years to actually make it happen, but I finally did, and diving was every bit as wonderful as I'd anticipated it would be.

I haven't had a chance to dive since my certification trip four years ago, so I'm planning a 16 day solo trip to Thailand in March/April. There's a lot to see there but I'm hoping to maximize the diving experience, learn & practice as much as I can, and get my Advanced Open Water certification.

Thanks for all the wonderful information in this forum! I'll probably start by digging through here for some advice on budget dive travel, and trying to figure out what model of a used GoPro I should buy to take with me. All my diving research google searches eventually lead me here, so I figured I might as well join.

Welcome fellow NYer....if ya want to fly, then jump out of a plane at 12,500 feet :)...I always thought scuba diving was more similar to spacecwalk! You definitely need to dive more and an Asian trip should prove wonderful....Cozumel, Caymans, Belieze, Costa Rica and Honduras will always do in a pinch :)

Welcome fellow NYer....if ya want to fly, then jump out of a plane at 12,500 feet :)...I always thought scuba diving was more similar to spacecwalk! You definitely need to dive more and an Asian trip should prove wonderful....Cozumel, Caymans, Belieze, Costa Rica and Honduras will always do in a pinch :)

I did, actually! That was pretty great too, though there was a lot less "zen" and a lot more adrenaline.

Welcome from a native Yonkersite (that a word?). Maybe consider doing the AOW at home. I know Scuba New York in Yonkers (Central Ave.) is a fine shop and they do courses at Dutch Springs in PA. They also have a pool on site. Of course I have to ask--why would someone from the Midwest want to come to Brooklyn?

Welcome from a native Yonkersite (that a word?). Maybe consider doing the AOW at home. I know Scuba New York in Yonkers (Central Ave.) is a fine shop and they do courses at Dutch Springs in PA. They also have a pool on site. Of course I have to ask--why would someone from the Midwest want to come to Brooklyn?

Oh, I'd much rather take the course in Thailand. It's less expensive, gear rental is included, the scenery is better, and I can stay on-site in a great environment. I don't know what the advantage would be to do it locally

Lots of reasons to live in Brooklyn!

I do envy you going there. You have 16 days, so you'll get a lot of diving in. The only advantage in doing it & the AOW at home first is you can just dive in Thailand. Enjoy. Oh, I have once dived a spot at East Rockaway at the inlet .. Beach 8th Street or something. Not bad, but can be cool water and tide dependent I think. Small parking place.. lock car...

Back
Top Bottom