ANO CL 2300 Dive Light: recommended ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well I am just trying to determine what would be a good diving light for now, but also for the future.

I thought that cannister might somehow be « better », but obviously it appears I am wrong.

Maybe I just need a SeaLife Mini 900 for now ?

:)
It wasn't that long ago that can lights were the only way to go for any kind of reasonable brightness and burn time. However, LED's powered by lithium batteries have changed things significantly.

here's what I would do.
If you plan on going tech/gue in the future, buy your backup lights now.

Buy a pair of them and you'll be fine.
I'm a fan of these. Make sure on one of them to click "get a sock" which will get you a goodman esque style light sock that is infinitely useful
Cave Adventurers - Cave Adventurers Expedition Back-Up Light - Marianna, Florida USA - Never Undersold!

Those will be more than enough for your diving now. At the point you find you actually need a canister light, buy a Light Dude and don't look back

here's what I would do.
If you plan on going tech/gue in the future, buy your backup lights now.

Buy a pair of them and you'll be fine.
I'm a fan of these. Make sure on one of them to click "get a sock" which will get you a goodman esque style light sock that is infinitely useful
Cave Adventurers - Cave Adventurers Expedition Back-Up Light - Marianna, Florida USA - Never Undersold!

Those will be more than enough for your diving now. At the point you find you actually need a canister light, buy a Light Dude and don't look back

Great !

Thank you very much for your advice.

Most appreciated !

I am not sure of the particular model Ano light you are referencing; however I was on a dive where we used Ano floods to light up a dive site for photography. They were demo lights that the shop had just received and we were putting them to the test. This dive was quite deep but the lights were rated for a depth deeper than our planned maximum depth. All 3 of them failed right out of the box. 2 of them failed shortly after lighting and the one I had never came on. I'm sure some have had good experience with them but that was my first and last time using them. YMMV and It's different for everyone but I've always bought used lights and have been lucky enough to never have a problem. I picked up a used UWLD LD35 a few years ago for $800.00. I think they retail for somewhere near 2k. They're customer service is superior as well. Best of luck!

All 3 of them failed right out of the box. 2 of them failed shortly after lighting and the one I had never came on.

Then what happened? Did you charge them, contact ANO, throw then in the garbage, test the batteries? etc,

For a can light, I would try one of these over the ANO CL2300. OrcaTorch D620:

OrcaTorch D620 scuba diving canister light

But, I agree with others and I don't own a can light. I have yet to do any diving that lasts long enough to need one.

For night diving, I like to carry a decent handheld spot light, for signaling purposes, and a decent video light, for a nice wide beam, so I can actually see a lot of stuff.

My favorite spot light is the Xtar D26, which usually run around $65 on eBay. I have 2 of them and they have served me flawlessly for something like 2 years now(?), on dives as deep as 200'.

XTAR D26 XM-L2 LED Diving Flashlight

I definitely agree with tbone on the light sock recommendation. The Oxycheq sock for it is what I use and it is great. Way better than the other commonly found soft Goodman handle/glove I have.

For a video light, I have an Archon 1000 lumen light. It's okay, but old. I think there are much better now. I would look at this:

12000LM 10x XM-L2 Photography LED Scuba Diving Flashlight Torch 4*R+4*B 18650 | eBay

No way it's really 12000 lumens. But, with 10 x Cree XM-L2 LED emitters, it is CAPABLE of putting out over 10000 - with the right driver circuitry. I would expect it to probably be a legit 5000 or so. And, the red and blue LED emitters could also be pretty handy for night dives, too. And it's only $79. I would not trust the batteries they offer with it. I would buy my own 18650 batteries elsewhere, instead.

the unbranded chinese lights unfortunately do not come with real cree's anymore. check budgetlightforum if you want the long version, but short version is most of them use the latticebright xm2 instead of a cree xm-l2. i wouldn't be surprised if it was actually closer to 3000 lumen. still reasonable for the cost though.

Then what happened? Did you charge them, contact ANO, throw then in the garbage, test the batteries? etc,

The person who owns the shop sent them back I presume. I never heard anything else about them. I do not believe he sells that brand, I haven’t been there in awhile though.

My son has a Kraken NL-1200. It is small and plenty bright. We did some night dives recently in Bonaire. I just used the video light on my SeaLife camera which is 2300 lumens flood. Worked fine for me. His Kraken light is a spot. He was able to find a lot of off the wall animals on the reef hiding in the coral with it. I have a Chinese Amazon back up light {Mixxar MS01} that is supposed to be 1200 lumens, but it is not as bright as the Kraken 1200...I think when you buy a quality name brand light you probably get the lumens you pay for...when you buy a cost effective light you probably do not get the lumens advertised. Don't get me wrong, it seems like a very nice back up light and it is plenty bright enough for night diving in reasonable visibility, it's just plainly not the advertised lumens. It has survived 4 dives to 120 feet and it comes with a rechargeable 18650 LI battery and charger. I mean, for $30.00.....it sure seems like a lot of backup light.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom