Annotating log with compass bearing at mark

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

engan

New
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a first time poster here so I really hope I do not break protocol by posting a feature request here.

I searched the Shearwater forum and found a thread on the compass feature. I really appreciate that Shearwater did listen to the user base and introduced some great new features in the latest firmware update. That is why I came out of the woodwork to provide yet another compass feature idea.

I live in Stockholm. In the water here visibility usually sucks and it is cold. However we have lots of interesting wrecks. Since diving is not a huge sport here we do not usually have nice maps and detailed descriptions of our dive sites. Sometimes we have to search underwater to find the wreck we aim to visit. Swimming around in freezing cold water with a few meters visibility, taking bearings and writing them down on a slate or in wetnotes with thick dry gloves is sort of a pain.

What if it was possible to mark a compass bearing and have that bearing, depth and time stored in the log?

That is, annotate the log only with the bearing marked, not constantly sampling the current bearing.

I would then be able to upload the dive log from the Petrel 2 and analyze it on my computer to be able to use the marked bearing to find my way back to the wreck another time.

I would also be able to take depths and bearings for interesting features, like bow-stern direction/depth, rock walls, lines, etc. All these marks would show up as a marker in the dive log, and if I hover with the pointer on the mark it would display the bearing marked.

Thanks,

/engan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom