Ankle Weights?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pug211

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am still new to diving with only 18 dives, i have been working on trim for the last 10 dives It has gotten better and am moving well and trim, but when i stop moving I slowing go head down, I can frog kick a litlle and am fine again. This only happens when I am stopped to look at something. I have been told that ankle weights are a bad thing, but I put two two pound soft weights in my wetsuit at the ankles and can stay trim while not moving at all.

I assume you have tried the obvious first remedy - moving the tank a little lower. It is all a matter of shifting weight around a fulcrum. Next step might be heavier fins with spring straps, such as Scuba Pro Jets or OMS Slipstreams (Jets are heavier).

Yes I have moved tank as low as possible I don't have spring straps for fins and my fins are sp twin jets and are
+ bouyant, But I like the fins and don't want to spend more money on fins.

I guess my question is, with only 4 pounds of weight at my ankles a problem, with all of my other weight ditchable?

What kind of BCD are you using? How much total lead are you wearing? Where on your rig is the lead distributed? I have seen a few cases of divers being head-low/feet-high because they stuffed their trim weight pockets (located halfway up on the back of the BC) full of weight. The problem was ameliorated by shifting that "trim weight" to their regular weight pockets located on their hips. For some reason, beginner divers think they "must" put weight in those trim pockets. The pockets are there just in case you need them.

The only reason I don't like ankle weights is that it makes for more work while kicking. But if you want a better work-out, then go with them...

As dkktsunami suggested, you'll need to shift weight around on your rig to solve this problem. Ankle weights may be part of the solution. Heavier fins might help. Weight on the lower camband might help. Let us know how it goes.

If ankle weights work for you and moving your other weight doesn't, just wear them. Ignore people who tell you they are a problem. I fail to see the difference between using ankle weights v heavy fins! I am like you and cannot afford to buy new fins just yet so am just using the ankle weights (4 pounds too). It is the only way I can stay horizontal whilst hovering without fins. Since using ankle weights my SAC has dropped a bit too, because I am no longer constantly finning to keep my feet down.

I don't really buy the idea that ankle weights are a BAD thing. It's not like they are going to hurt you or anything while diving. If anything, it's just one more thing to put on, one more thing to remember, and one more thing to wear out and replace.

If that works for you, then go for it. I experimented with ankle weights for a while, and finally just found that I didn't really need them, even in my drysuit. I still think they are great, but I use them more as an extra couple pound that I can clip around the tank valve or in a drysuit pocket if I'm trying out some new gear combination, or if someone I'm diving with is a couple pounds light.

If they solve a problem, then use them. There probably is a way to solve the same problem a different way, but for now they work. Eventually, you start to learn more how to balance yourself in the water other ways, and sooner or later, you may outgrow the need to have them, but for now, if they make trimming easier, then go for it.

Tom

I fail to see the difference between using ankle weights v heavy fins!

There are a few differences.

The ankle weights are one more thing to have to remember, and one more thing to have to put on.

Jets cost about $50 used. Ankle weights themselves often cost around $30.

Some style ankle weights are more snag prone than others.

Your ankle weights are a lot more likely to break or fall off than some Jets+Spring Straps.

On the other hand, you can always take off the ankle weights and use the same fins when you are diving a thinner wetsuit.

Ankle weights can be more of a quick fix solution to a trim problem, and you can experiment with them a lot easier than with other forms of weighting.

Next step might be heavier fins with spring straps, such as Scuba Pro Jets or OMS Slipstreams (Jets are heavier).

My slipstreams are almost neutral in saltwater, FYI

I guess my question is, with only 4 pounds of weight at my ankles a problem, with all of my other weight ditchable?

Ditchable weight requirements are a whole 'nother can of worms. If you need ankle weights, I would assume you are already wearing a fairly thick wetsuit. That would make me think you would have enough weight in another form to leave a substantial amount for ditching.

To me, ankle weights are ditchable. A steel BP, and HP130 are not. Weight strapped to your cam band is not. I normally don't have any ditchable weight on my rig. I am not overweighted to the point where I would have trouble swimming up from depth should my wing fail. If I'm on the surface, I am very confident in my ability to inflate my wing either by the power inflate or by orally inflating it. In the unlikely event of a total wing failure on the surface, I should be able to tread water long enough to get to the boat, or even inflate an SMB if I'm going to be around for a while...and in cases of dire emergency, my entire rig becomes ditchable weight.

Tom

Next step might be heavier fins with spring straps, such as Scuba Pro Jets
I always have to laugh at this one. What's the difference between Jets and ankle weights? The weights cost a whole lot less.

"DIR" divers don't use ankle weights -- just ask them. They just put 2 pounds on their feet and call them fins (like I do!).

Thanks for the input, I am hoping with more diving I get better form and can lose them, but I am still concentrating on alot now, it is not all automatic yet, I know it is getting better but will try them next weekend when I go diving and see how my SAC does if better or not.

If ankle weights work for you and moving your other weight doesn't, just wear them. Ignore people who tell you they are a problem.
I completely agree. If you've tried other ways to trim out properly and ankle weights are the only things that help...then go with them.
I fail to see the difference between using ankle weights v heavy fins!
I used to think the same thing. I've found that having the weight distributed evenly within the fin itself vs. using ankle weights makes me feel like I'm displacing water more efficiently with each fin kick. I'll admit that I have no scientific evidence to support my claim -- just anecdotal info. Try both ways and see what works best.
Since using ankle weights my SAC has dropped a bit too, because I am no longer constantly finning to keep my feet down.
Yup. You'll see benefits in a lower SAC rate when you nail your trim.

Back
Top Bottom