Anilao Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WetPup

Weedy Sea Dragon
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I returneth from nearly a month away diving in Anilao and Lembeh. Anilao was pretty epic, and I can see now why people rave about it so much. My first trip there at Christmas was hampered by the typhoon, but this return trip met my expectations and then some :bounce:

As with my last trip there, I stayed at Buceo Anilao. I enjoyed it there it the first time, despite the typhoon disruptions, and was willing to give it another go. On the resort side, the food remains a bit average, but that seems to be a Philippines issue in general from my experience, not specific to this resort. Always plenty of hot water, good aircon, and they were trialling an upgrade to the wifi (it was good).

Diving was mindblowing. I don't think it has quite the same biodiversity as Lembeh, but I strongly believe it has a higher biodensity. I have seen way more critters in Anilao than I have seen in Lembeh, but the types of critters aren’t necessarily as diverse in species. Did 4 dives every day with my awesome guide Romnick that I had last time. Again, he is brilliant, and I can’t recommend him as a guide highly enough.

Knocked a few critters off my bucket list too! It's taken me over 20 years (I don't know how I managed to miss them all the time), but I've finally seen a mimic octopus, and not just another "a mimic! no...wait...wonderpus. dammit!" incident.

Pics on my blog...

So....it seems like I should probably give Anilao another chance!!
I was a tad under-whelmed when I was there in March...both in terms of diversity & density. BUT the guides kept blaming it on the typhoon!
Buceo definitely is a great little resort.

It's taken me over 20 years (I don't know how I managed to miss them all the time), but I've finally seen a mimic octopus, and not just another "a mimic! no...wait...wonderpus. dammit!" incident.
Each their own curse, took me 18 years before my first blue ring octopus, the best part was that I discovered it myself during a nightdive and the two guides with me coudn't find it. Since then, I spotted so many it's like they've passed the word on : "ok no reason to hide anymore, the guy knows we exist".
Probably you'll see mimics on everydive from now on and you'll get so bored with them.

(Now I have to blow away those dark clouds away that have prevented me from crossing one of those whale sharks so far.)

Nice pics, thanks for sharing :) We were there at the exact same time (the couple of french Canadian, I was the pasty white guy, hard to miss). I'll try to get down to it and post a few words but I definitely feel the same way about Anilao and Buceo - it was a fantastic experience overall.

I remember you! It was such an awesome trip and definitely lived up to the hype. That site down past Secret Bay called Saim-Sim (I think that's spelled right) I just wanted to go for every dive. All the octopuses!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom