Andros Island trip report -- April 2007

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

knobhdy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I just returned from Andros Island in the Bahamas. The diving was spectacular. I stayed at Small Hope Bay Lodge (all-inclusive, except for the diving). It was my second year at the resort, so I knew it would be good, but this was the first year I had my c-card so I was able to do the real dives.:D
I jumped straight in and dove an ocean blue hold, as well as the reef wall, and a couple of coral cavern-type dives. Also did some general shallow reef diving, with really great fish watching.

Some things to bring next year:
My own dedicated dive buddy -- enough other people brought theirs that I had a hard time finding a buddy on the fly. Dove with the instructors a couple of times to have someone watching me at depth. This was not a bad idea anyway as I am relatively new to diving.
A Underwater Camera -- I hesitated to buy a new one, and went with a disposable for snorkeling, but I want better pictures. Plus my non-diving mother acquired it for her snorkeling trips and use up all the pictures. :blinking:

Other then that, the resorted provided everything I needed, including offering equipment to rent which was surprisingly well fitting.
The food is great, the bar (for those not diving or who have higher tolerances then I do) is always open, (And their idea of "open bar" is: "There is the bar, go behind and help yourself":eyebrow:) and the staff is warm and welcoming.
I highly recommend this place.

Thanks for the trip report, Knobhdy! And congrats on getting your C card!

I'm not familiar with Andros at all. Are there any wrecks? Did you see any pelagics, sharks, dolphins, etc?

I saw dolphins; they came right up to the dock and swam in the bay out front of the resort.
There were two shark dives while I was there, but I declined to attend either one. (Not big on sharks myself.) They do bait the shark dives but those divers and snorkelers who went seemed to have fun and a bunch of them came back with discarded shark teeth gleaned from the bottom of the ocean after the feed.
I also saw several (or the same one over and over again) eagle rays. I got a couple of good pictures of them when they were swimming under the dock.
All of the wildlife is wild. Except for the sharks, they are not fed and they are all free swim away.

There are wrecks available. Usually on the afternoon dive. I didn't do any this year but I will next year.

I know what you mean; I'm not crazy about shark dives myself, but I know my teenager would love it. (he's an avid underwater videographer.) I have to say, their shark dive doesn't sound as intrusive as some of them.

This sounds like a good place for families during school holidays, but I wonder if there are any teenagers there. And are most the guests divers? We prefer a place that is dedicated to the diver since that is pretty much all we do when on vacation.

Any luck with that camera yet?

My husband and I and some friends stayed at Coral Caverns Resort in Cargill Creek. They have a wonderful dive operation and totally cater to the divers!!!! The food is absolutely AMAZING!!!! We were there in January and it was a bit windy, but while one dive operation (not naming any names) wouldn't take their guests out, Coral Caverns went out of their way to get us to some dive sites. We stayed within the reef and did some shallow dives that were beautiful!!!!!! Some of the dive sites are so new that we actually got to name one!!! Once we were able to get outside of the reef, the coral was prestine! Also, we heard that they found a secret shark dive (they don't chum the water) where a bunch of silky sharks hang out. We are heading out there in October and plan on staying a full week. Highly highly recommend!

You guys should try out Coral caverns on the east coast. These folks have a great place, I went there in Feb. and can't wait to go back. They had great diving and the most kicked back kinda atmosphere I have been around in a long time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom