And yet another wing recommendation...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fxrguy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Tobin,

I am seriously thinking of pulling the trigger on one of your rigs. I'm 5'10" tall and weigh between 170 and 175. I really don't like weight belts and would prefer to use as little add on weights as possible. I'm interested in going with a SS back plate and your basic hog harness. My diving will probably be from spear fishing with 5 or 6 mm full wetsuits plus spear gun and all associated gear, to just chasing lobsters in the Keys in skins. I will probably be using rental al 80's at first but would like to get my hands on steel tanks in the future. No doubles by the way. Soo I guess my question is what size wing? I would rather error on the side of caution and get a little larger wing for future use but certianly don't want to overdo it either.

Tobin,

I am seriously thinking of pulling the trigger on one of your rigs. I'm 5'10" tall and weigh between 170 and 175. I really don't like weight belts and would prefer to use as little add on weights as possible. I'm interested in going with a SS back plate and your basic hog harness. My diving will probably be from spear fishing with 5 or 6 mm full wetsuits plus spear gun and all associated gear, to just chasing lobsters in the Keys in skins. I will probably be using rental al 80's at first but would like to get my hands on steel tanks in the future. No doubles by the way. Soo I guess my question is what size wing? I would rather error on the side of caution and get a little larger wing for future use but certianly don't want to overdo it either.

So.....

You want a wing and a plate for 6mm or skins, and buoyant al80's or negative unspecified steel tanks in any possible combination?

6mm suits + al 80's would be best with a SS plate and a wing in the 26 lbs range.

Skins and HP100 would be best with a Lightweight (kydex) plate and maybe a 20 lbs wing.

With your range of applications you will either end up with a compromise, or you need to narrow down your choice of suit and cylinders.

Tobin

So.....

"You want a wing and a plate for 6mm or skins, and buoyant al80's or negative unspecified steel tanks in any possible combination?"

Yea I guess that's pretty much what it sounds like. The beauty of a bp/w rig is that you can dial it in to ""exactly" the kind of diving that you do. The downside is that it will be dialed into just that type of diving. I guess I need to go with a rig setup for the kind of diving I will be doing right away and then adding on for what I want to do in the future.

"6mm suits + al 80's would be best with a SS plate and a wing in the 26 lbs range."

Sounds good for spearfishing off Daytona in deep colder water.

"Skins and HP100 would be best with a Lightweight (kydex) plate and maybe a 20 lbs wing."

Sounds good for chasing lobsters around. Probably will be renting al 80's though, at least to begin with, and I'll probably stick with the SS backplate.

"With your range of applications you will either end up with a compromise, or you need to narrow down your choice of suit and cylinders."

Tobin

bp/w rigs are not all in one bcd's in my opinion. That is what I like about them in that you can customize your rig for whatever you my plan on doing. I guess most people that go bp/w usually end up with more then one wing and maybe bp. Thanks and I will be calling you as soon as I get a couple of bucks set aside which shouldn't be that long.

bp/w rigs are not all in one bcd's in my opinion. That is what I like about them in that you can customize your rig for whatever you my plan on doing. I guess most people that go bp/w usually end up with more then one wing and maybe bp. Thanks and I will be calling you as soon as I get a couple of bucks set aside which shouldn't be that long.

Whenever you are ready. The reality is there are few ways to address your application. Much easier to discuss the various approaches via the phone.

Tobin

Back
Top Bottom